Is it wrong to ride old?

lowtek

Retro Newbie
Hi all:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. In 1995, I bought a beautiful Mountain Goat Whiskey Town Racer. I've never had a bike ride as well nor fit me as it has. This bike is mostly original from when I purchased it and built it up (Caramba Double Barrel Cranks/Ringle Moby Deuce seatpost and stem/Mavic 217 Sunset rims laced to White Industry hubs, etc). However, I admit, I got a bit burned out on riding trails and switched over to road biking a couple years later.

My question is, taking into account that the bike and components are still in good shape (very little internal frame rust), is it "right" to ride it? I look at the bike and feel like it's a sin to even consider putting it through the rigors of the trail.

I know, it sounds like a ridiculous question and perhaps I'm being silly for asking, but at this point the bike is like a member of my family and I don't want to abuse it. However, considering I am a few months out of grad school and terribly poor (try living within the constraints of the American economy) I really can't invest in a new ride right now.

Input please and thanks in advance.

Not sure we can answer objectively without a few pictures please..... Sounds like a sweet ride.
I ride all of my bikes. Some just harder than others.

Ride like the wind little one!

If ya a big lad, check the cranks on occasion. I have seen a couple of cracked ones before. but hey! they look cool as f........

Welcome,by the way.

Al. :D

If I were in your shoes I would probably wrap the frame with clear helicopter tape and find something thick to wrap around the chainstay (like the tape used for hockey sticks) before taking it on the trails.

Or, scrounge up some cash (sell the cranks? ;)) and buy a less collectible bike on CL or ebay that you can ride without remorse.

thinly veiled sales thread?

me thinks so ;)

This thread is useless without pics.

I would ride it; a mid-90's wtr is cool, but not untouchable...won't fetch you as much as you might think.

Thanks for the replies, guys. The main reason I don't want to ride it is due to my fear of cracking the chainstain or similair. I certainly don't want to sell the frame or any components. This bike has great meaning to me.

Again, thanks for the input.

I suspect on seeing the bike once you have posted some pics i will add to its chainstain. (i suspect you meant chainstay)

:LOL:

I for one would be very keen to see this bike and i am sure many others would too!

My ailing Uncle gave me a 1988 Raleigh Banana as a gift a while back... it's not in the same league value / rarity-wise (it's the gas pipe replica, not the real one) but it is still one of the family as he bought it for my cousin 21 years ago!

I ride it daily (after I gave it a few tweaks to survive the mean streets of South Mancunia ie brakes and new tyres)... this gives me immense pleasure and a great sense of pride / family heritage. IMHO bikes are for riding no matter how rare or nice to ogle they are!

Back