Is it real? - syncros stem

Real?

• Total voters

Ricker

Dirt Disciple
I thought I have seen early Syncros stems but I am definitely not an expert. This one seems to be a little different than the norm and one of the photos shows a different stem - ebay item #115555648508 (USA). Had a crazy long link to it so only the item #. I have gotten some really premium items from Japan so I am wondering if it is the real thing and just something I have never seen? pics:
syncros stem 01.jpg syncros stem 02.jpg syncros stem 03.jpg syncros stem 04.jpg syncros stem 05.jpg
syncros stem 06.jpg

Attachments

• syncros stem 04.jpg
    syncros stem 04.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 9
Yeah.. the C is def wonky but i also think it's legit..
Just based upon... most fakes are not intended to fool the experts, too much of an investment is needed to manufacture them to that level of quality, they tend to fall into categories of good fakes and bad fakes.. the bad fakes are not really intended to fool anyone, you're buying a Louis Vuiton handbag for £15 from Thoresby market, you know it's fake (the equivalent here would be a standard stem with a Syncros sticker) No point investing time, effort and money trying to fool the Parisian fashionistas when they're not the ones shopping at market stalls..

Good fakes take a lot of expertise and investment to pull off well, take fake Nike trainers for instance, they used to be terrible but because they're so ubiquitous there is a shit load of money to be made from convincing people otherwise.. organised crime becomes involved.. the profits are reinvested in tooling and before you can say bobs yer uncle, they fool everyone but the experts around the forums..

This stem would fall into the latter but it isn't in any way ubiquitous, in order to see any kind of return on your investment you would need to manufacture and sell loads of them flooding an already niche market.. i don't believe the margins are there to do so and there are a lot of different and skilled manufacturing techniques needed to pull this off to this level of quality.. it's not like pressing a button on your CNC and machined parts pop out the other end..

Do a search for 1992 stems, and long long 150mm. Ignore the adaptor shim.
Stickers are stickers, they get damaged easily on syncros stems..

They get damaged easily on any syncros component.

Definitely a niche area for most forgers..

“The margin growth just isn’t there anymore with Paul Newman Daytonas or old masters..

No - 90’s MTB kit is the next big thing.. Let’s start with reliable upper midrange components..”

Latest posts

Back