Is a road bike really worth it?

hamster":2az7nuqk said:
The History Man":2az7nuqk said:
Also, I don't know your size/weight but if you're not a whippet stick a 28mm touring tyre on and enjoy the comfort. 23mm race look cool but feel a bit harsh and fragile to me.

The latest 25 and 28mm tyres are really fast. 25mm seems to be used these days by the pros. For smashed up UK tarmac (and especially the dreaded chipseal :shock: ) 28mm may well be faster.

It's a pity my Litespeed won't take any more than a 23mm on the back.

my 28mm tyred winter trainer/commuter is faster on all but the best surfaces than my 23mm tyred 90s race bike

jaypee":2662ssv4 said:
mattr":2662ssv4 said:
jaypee":2662ssv4 said:
and often overtake/race roadies.
You mean really bad roadies, or those out for a gentle zone 1/2 bimble.
Even on 1" slicks and at 100 psi a road bike will be around 2 mph quicker at the same power. (Check analytic cycling website for the exact numbers.)

Will certainly look into the science of it. And yes I'm sure a proper rider on a decent bike would be faster but in practice I hardly ever encounter anyone faster so at a practical level the increased speed wouldn't make much difference. Maybe I need to get into strava!

So get a proper road bike and be the fastest rider in town! Til you encounter a proper roadie, out of town, with hills and stuff. Mtb may seem best around Brighton for you, but get out in the countryside and your perception may change

If you look at 'modern' mid to low priced road bikes, you are riding around almost bolt upright. The bars seem to be up around the shoulders!

I can only think that this is to keep the MTB crossovers happy as they 'get into a bit of road riding' (and novices too?). Early 90's MTB and road had very similar riding positions for a while before MTB got all freeridey, trials etc bring the arse down and the bars up.

I have found my MTBs have gone very upright whereas the road is still arse up as long as the frame fits correctly (then I dont get back ache).

Rod_Saetan":3f4m93j9 said:
I have a couple of Road bikes, however this is fun for shorter journeys (the commute) and I've done a couple of sub 100 mile trips on it comfortably.

IMAGE_EB3F8175-CBA8-4614-9459-EC0B36F490A5.JPG

94 Salsa La Raza, Dura Ace 7400 group with M732 thumbies and flat bar, ti post.

I recognize that view, about 200mtrs from where I work! :LOL:

Mike

legrandefromage":1rctqeo9 said:
If you look at 'modern' mid to low priced road bikes, you are riding around almost bolt upright. The bars seem to be up around the shoulders!

The Allez is about the best selling 'proper' entry-level Road bike of the last few years, and that is aggressive to the point of being impractical for most people new to riding. There has been a tip recently towards a more sensible and less aggressive position combined with more comfort from the frame and wider tyres, plus the arrival of a whole 'new' genre of bikes namely Gravel-Grinders. As with every type of bike, fit (or being in the right place on the bike) will make as big a difference to your enjoyment as the running gear or the frame quality.

Thoe whole point of a road bike was the aerodynamics - something seems to be lost when you see one go by almost upright in the saddle but on the drops.

Re:

Somehow I duplicated this thread. This is groovyblueshed's post from the duplicate thread:

groovyblueshed↓
Re:
Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:06 pm
Like the frames!

I love riding and bike tinkering myself but I don't think you have to be a Rapha or Sky clad roadie and spend a fortune on kit to be a proper cyclist. Cycling can be whatever you want it to be. It spans many disciplines and styles of riding.

I personally can't justify the cost of today's bike prices so I keep my 'vintage ride' going with careful regular maintenance and carefully sourced kit found at the best the value for money (like 8speed Shimano cassettes from CRC for under £10 say). I keep the the vintage components from 'the day' in safe storage and hang modern bits for everyday usage on the frame, replacing or updating these as needed.

I've ridden road bikes in the past but when I got into MTB riding I found I much preferred the riding position and the way MTBs handled and the amount of fun you can have on them. I found road bikes to be awkward/unforgiving/easily spooked like a highly strung skittish race horse. A good steel MTB frame is pretty much bomb proof and can put up with most conditions and you can change the kit around on it to suit different riding scenarios. I've always liked having the option of being able to venture off tarmac at a moment's notice.

Most of my riding now is by commuting. I do about 33 miles a day and normally ride 4 days out of 5 throughout the seasons (unless I'm knackered or can't face riding or the weather). The bike's fully rigid so I run the fattest tyres the frame can take (2.2 X-Kings for winter and trail or Race Kings for summer and mostly road). I've fitted riser bars with old fashioned bar ends, which allows different positions and the risers provide a degree of flex and comfort in the absence of front suspension. Braking comes from Avid V-brakes. Drive train combines XT M772 rear mech and 8speed (34-11) with a single 50 tooth ring. With this set up, I'm up there giving team Rapha or Sky a run for their money!

All my mileage for commuting, shopping, allotment, trails, etc, is made on the same bike. If I did go for another bike, I'd probably opt for a cyclocross rather than a roadie. May be a cyclocross is the happy medium?

Re:

Duplicated twice somehow!

Been tempted in the past to get a cx bike. With the aim to use it off-road. Til a friend with one told me it's the worst of both worlds. You can't be as aggressive off-road as with an mtb, and not as committed a riding position as on a road bike.
His words, not mine.
Gave up on the idea, got a Rockhopper instead. Then a Gitane. Then a Bianchi ! :LOL:

Mike

Road bikes are just brilliant. They can be real things of beauty. Quite a lot of roadies are bike vain, if it isn't the latest offering with all the bells and whistles then it just doesn't cut mustard. Which means there are a lot of 2nd hand bargains to be had. Just need to know where to look - bike radar classifieds are a good start, Cycling Weekly can occasionally throw up some good buys, possibly the best source are post cards on for sale boards at good roadie shops.

Just as the market with old mtbs dictates at a certain age frames and parts become collectable, so bumping up the price. Never buy a 2nd hand carbon frame unless you trust the seller and the provenance of the frame. Minor prangs can damage frames with little to show. There are also some very very good new deals to be had from the likes of Ribble and Dolan.

Somehow I now own more road bikes than mtbs.

Radar":3oomo0v8 said:
Road bikes are just brilliant. They can be real things of beauty. Quite a lot of roadies are bike vain, if it isn't the latest offering with all the bells and whistles then it just doesn't cut mustard. Which means there are a lot of 2nd hand bargains to be had. Just need to know where to look - bike radar classifieds are a good start, Cycling Weekly can occasionally throw up some good buys, possibly the best source are post cards on for sale boards at good roadie shops.

Just as the market with old mtbs dictates at a certain age frames and parts become collectable, so bumping up the price. Never buy a 2nd hand carbon frame unless you trust the seller and the provenance of the frame. Minor prangs can damage frames with little to show. There are also some very very good new deals to be had from the likes of Ribble and Dolan.

Somehow I now own more road bikes than mtbs.

I find this forum a good place to get a bargain bike/project, followed by ebay. And us roadies are free with advice should you see something you fancy but aren't sure what to look for.

Mike

Latest posts

Back