International Shipping causes more problems....

The system is a joke , I am currently £96 down due to a German burk

He took a lifetime to pay me, I sent the item within the same timeframe he paid me. He opened a dispute saying he hasnt recieved the item. He then recieved the item but decided it was rubbish and demanded I payed the postage to send it back ..... All this time STILL keeping the dispute open to say he hasnt recieved it still ......

So ebay/paypal have evidence of tracking postage
copies of emails from the buyer admiting he has the item

The best bit ....

Ebay/Paypal Have removed his negative feedback after I sent them the evidence of his emails to show he was threatening to leave feedback while holding my goods etc etc ....

But still ...... The dispute is not closed and paypal are holding my money :twisted: :twisted:

Well would you believe it .....

Just rang paypal .... 2 min phonecall and its sorted :shock:

Excellent news. Congrats!

...not so simple when dealing WITHIN Germany, though, because nobody uses PayPal.
Attitudes to internet trade are extremely conservative.
So nobody uses PayPal and they all insist on a domestic bank transfer
(the standard Ebay.DE payment screen just gives you all the seller's personal info to do a manual bank transfer yourself).

The actual banking system works flawlessly, but when you have a problem, there's no mediator (PayPal). Therefore no way to resolve issues between parties.

Ever read any Franz Kafka?
Now imagine Joseph K's task was to walk into a German bank and explain (in German) "I bought a NOS M900 rear mech, but look - it's trashed!".

It's a complete no-hoper.
Buyer beware.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
utahdog2003":2oos03sj said:
I mean, do you guys on the continent expect shipping from the states to happen with 5 days? I've never had stuff move that fast across the pond.

I can't comment for the guys on the continent, but more often than not things sent front the USA make it to me in Tasmania in 5 days.

Similarly stuff from the UK take about 4-5 days.

Strangely anything from Canada seems to take 6 - 8 weeks.

The longest I've waited for something to turn up is 3 months but everything turns up in the end, and I don't loose sleep over stuff being late.

Slightly off topic, but there are some really weird sellers out there too.

I had one guy get nasty because I hadn't left positive feekback 3 days after the auction end even though he was sending something from some small town in an Eastern State of the US to Australia...

Another got grumpy because the tracking system had said something had been delivered to me and he'd waited 6 hours for me to email and say that it had (I was at work and had no idea it had arrived).

wow, heh i orderd a bunch of parts on tuesday from the us, it was shipped and on a plane and cleared customs in 3 days.
I had it on the 4th day =).

Some times shipping rocks and some times you wait weeks or months..

i remeber sending a valentines from nz with like 48 hours to go,
and the post people got it to the backwaters of CT, Us for the morning of v day, That i found quite impresieve

other times i sent a post card from fiji airport and it showed up 2 months later...

as for payment, NZ is probably the best country for this, miles ahead of just about any other country ive seen. Domestic transfers online is the only way to go, way better than giving paypal your money...
all transfers should show up the following day. some banks if the other person is also at that bank , it can be within 30 mins.

Never had any real issues here in Denmark. I hope that you are getting things sorted Utahdog, I'm a bit sad to hear your story.

ededwards":1m7gvxun said:
Feel for the original poster, these things are very frustrating - hope it works out ok.

GoldenEraMTB":1m7gvxun said:
I always get a certificate of mailing on all international shipments that are shipped with the short customs forms. The long forms give you a carbon copy to keep. I then scan these as proof of mailing, since delivery confirmation is not available internationally with the usps.

Unfortunately proof of postage isn't enough with eBay when there is a dispute as they are looking for proof of delivery as I found out recently to my cost. Message for me - when selling via eBay only use a service that requires the buyer to sign for the item.

True, but every little bit helps. Besides, if I went with only signature service, half the parts/frames I've shipped on here, would not have been bought. For some reasone, people would rather risk, not receiving the item, than paying extra for shipping. Most of the time it works out.

Though utah's case here seems more like a seller trying to set up a means to get over.

GoldenEraMTB":24y3jdtf said:
Though utah's case here seems more like a seller trying to set up a means to get over.

I'll assume you mean buyer, but I hope that isn't the case...we'll see. I'll post updates. :cry:

utahdog2003":2srk5pgg said:
GoldenEraMTB":2srk5pgg said:

I'll assume you mean buyer, but I hope that isn't the case...we'll see. I'll post updates. :cry:

yes, I meant buyer, and I hope not as well.

on a slightly different note...why is shipping large items to australia such a pain in the ass.

GoldenEraMTB":1yzxm0qw said:
on a slightly different note...why is shipping large items to australia such a pain in the ass.

Uh...I'll take a stab at why.

Large items are usually, well...large. Australia is also far away. Really...look at a globe, it's true! :LOL:

Back