Internal rust has claimed another victim today

Simon Masterson

Old School Hero
Was off to a bike jumble today when all of a sudden the bike just didn't feel right. Stopped, checked over thoroughly, couldn't find anything sinister. Got back on, thought I'd probably been imagining things. Half a mile down the road, what you see below happened.

I knew that the finish was in a dire state and in desperate need of a respray, but this has been a wakeup call, and I'll be applying frame saver to my others. Given the state of the fork, I can only assume that the frame is just as bad, and therefore I'm retiring it, to look at and reminisce about many happy miles. She never was anything special, but was my dad's bike, and I can remember gazing at it adoringly as a boy. Had a mishmash of parts, but served faithfully for commuting in all weathers for the past few years.

Sleep well, old friend. Thanks for reading.

It is rather, isn't it?

Thankfully no - just a few grazes. I'm thankful that I didn't get around to the early training run I had planned/that it happened at gentle pace - I don't like to think of how much worse it could have been.

Re:

RIP simon's dad's bike.

Now get back to the jumble sale and get the wheels for the CB :D

I have some wheels, actually! Got them with the frame. I can't remember what they are (Nisi rims, IIRC), but they seem decent enough.

Here's the CB, sans wheels. Still has the lamps and dynamo, which I haven't tested, and have no intention of using. Those mudguards are also probably original, or at least old, bearing 'Made in W. Germany' marks.

Simon Masterson":1t7xvkwj said:
I have some wheels, actually! Got them with the frame. I can't remember what they are (Nisi rims, IIRC), but they seem decent enough.

Here's the CB, sans wheels. Still has the lamps and dynamo, which I haven't tested, and have no intention of using. Those mudguards are also probably original, or at least old, bearing 'Made in W. Germany' marks.

Sorry to hear about your frame disintegrating, but the main thing is that you came out of it (relatively) unscathed even if the bike didn't; part of me wonders if they had a habit of buying in cheap pre-assembled forks at the Brigg factory, as I had an early 90s Holdsworth steering column snap in two (on a fork which was a budget pre-built job).

As for those pre-reunification German mudguards, at work we're still using the odd Pyrex-type beaker with "GDR" printed on it, not bad going really given how expendable laboratory glassware can be!

David

Sorry to hear about the forks and also having to retire your dads machine. Along with everyone else I'm also thankful you got out of it with relatively little damage.
On a brighter note, the Claud looks really nice :)
All the best
Jamie

Cheers Jamie and David; it's not all bad. In a way I'm glad it's happened; better to find out now than for it to come up after shot blasting or something...

Back