Independent Fabrications SS - XL with King, Pauls, SOLD!

d_douglas

Retro Guru
SOLD!
I am selling my Independent Fabrications SS bike. I bought it from the original owner because I couldn't resist its beauty, but the reality is that I have barely ridden it, so it is time to set it free. It is a riot to roll on trails as it is super light and responsive.

It is a 20.5" Deluxe custom frame with a slight slope in the TT. TT measures a hair over 25". While it sounds huge, it equates to a L/XL frame. For reference, I have an old 19.5" Rocky Mountain Vertex and it feels similar. For reference, I am 6'1" (185cm) and so was the original owner (my riding buddy). We are both normally proportioned and the bike fits great - think an old school Fat Chance, which is what he was aiming for when designing with IF. I would say someone 6'1" to 6'3" (185cm to 190cm would have a great fit). The saddle was dropped about 1cm to accommodate a test ride of a shorter rider, for reference. (he passed on this bike but bought my road bike!!)

The frame is custom drawn IF spec'd tubing along with a handmade IF fork. This one is not a Vicious model; it was apparently made by IF in house. It is suspension corrected for 80mm forks.

The parts are as follows:

1 1/8th King HS (it has a Roox Twister top cap)
110 Thomson Elite stem
25.2" Bontrager Flat tracker bar
Token lock-on gripset
Thomson seatpost
Fizik Arione ti railed saddle.
Paul Engineering Motolite linear pull brakes.
Paul Engineering Love levers
Paul Engineering hubset 32h
Bontrager Mustang 32h machined sidewall rimset
18t White industries trials freewheel
175mm Raceface Turbine ISIS crankset
36t DMR Singlespeed chainring
2.2" WTB Mutanoraptor tires

Surly Chaintensioner.

The condition is excellent. The original owner moved from a flat SS'y type place to the base of a mountain shortly after buying this bike, so it actually sat dormant for a few years (well, it was his grocery bike) before he decided to sell it off. He wants it back, but circumstances conspire against him and there is no room in the shed for more bikes now! I have personally ridden it three times offroad and about 25 or 30 times to work. This is a waste of such a nice bike.

The chainring, chain and freewheel have about 150km on them, so they are virtually new and are perfect. The freewheel is the best money can buy and ticks away like a King hub - yum.

While the bike is ready to rip out of the box, I would say that the tires have just one more season (one year) on them. Beautiful tires, but starting to wear down the grip. The rim sidewalls are marked up from wear, but are solid for years. I will include a set of new in package Koolstop brake pads as the pads are wearing down, though still fine. The Pauls brakes, while not disc, are SUPER powerful - better than my Avid BB7s, I would say.

The rear hub has a BIT of side to side play - I never noticed this before, but it is there. As I am not a good mechanic and these are easy hubs to adjust, I am selling as-is and pricing accordingly. As I said, I think it is a simple fix, but I haven't done it. The wheels are round and true, otherwise.

I am living in Geneva, Switzerland. I am asking 700 Swiss francs. This converts to 500GBP / 800USD / 550 EURO and I am happy to convert to any currency in the world, as long as you pay for the actual shipping cost to your location and that payment is made via Paypal. I could add on a mintish 85mm Marzocchi MX pro suspension fork for an extra 70GBP / 115USD / 75EURO that would match nicely.

I am sure I have missed something, so feel free to contact me with any questions. More photos available.

Cheers, all.

That is a beauty!!!!, 2nd dibs if the sale to IbocProSX falls through, nicest bike I've seen on here for a long time by far :D

No, nothing sinister (that I can remember anyway). I seem to remember negotiating to buy it many moons ago, but it fell through. Why? I can't remember.
Maybe I'm just pissed off that I don't have £500 spare at the moment... :cry:
Lovely looking bike. :cool:

I just swent a message to d_douglas with some shipping suggestions. From the web information it appears Swiss Post have no problems with standard bike boxes.

Enjoy!!

Back