Improving Mountain Cycle Pro-Stop brakes

abarth

Retro Newbie
Hi all!

New member here, so: Hi, the name is Thomas and I'm from Sweden. I've got the first Mountain Cycle San Andreas that came to Sweden! Maybe there is a handfull here, haven't seen any for sale thou.

I've got the first version of Pro-Stop brakes, didn't like the power of them when new, so I modified them to fully hydralic with magura levers from maguras rimbrakes. The modifications went on and on because I had to keep up with the competition in DH, so in the end it had 8 inches of travel front and rear via Marzocchi Bomber Mr.T fork and a Marzocchi shock.

Now, the steed has been standing for about 5-6 years and I found this site and thought that it might be time to get the old girl moving again! The problem is the brakes, what to do with them...

The original discs are made of anodized aluminum, now they have worn throu the anodization in several places and I'm thinking of replacing them. What should I do? I've been thinking of getting some other discs, calipers and levers, but I don't want to spend a lot of money due to my other projects (family costs, house in the country costs, horses costs, motorcycles costs...).

Please guide me! I just want the old steed to work again and as I have altered the swingarm, it's no use to put it back to original...

Best regards / Thomas

Those Pro Stop brakes were pretty crappy-why don't you fit a modern disc brake like Avid Juicy's or Shimano XT's?

Hahhaa... Wonderful guys! But I was thinking about keeping the old brakes just to save money and I've allways had them...

Okay, if I would change, it would be to some used brakes. Which are to prefer?

Best regards / Thomas

do you have any pictures to help us ...ps if ya dont want them my san andreas would love them.i run magura hydrostops and they are fantastic for stopping power. :D

Back