Imlach's Sweaty Hippie Funk Collection, adventure bikes, rusty rats, cruisers and other alt bastardisations of bicyclery

I actually think this wins the thread. This is the nicest photograph I've ever seen. Just a lad cruising at dusk with an absolute belter of an antler as a handlebar. It has so much feeling. Didn't die in vein that, imagine seeing that on the trails at night. Spirit of the wild. Peak bicycling. I refuse to acknowledge anyone else's bicycling experience as anything noteworthy after seeing this.

I actually think this wins the thread. This is the nicest photograph I've ever seen. Just a lad cruising at dusk with an absolute belter of an antler as a handlebar. It has so much feeling. Didn't die in vein that, imagine seeing that on the trails at night. Spirit of the wild. Peak bicycling. I refuse to acknowledge anyone else's bicycling experience as anything noteworthy after seeing this.
But in flip flops 🤮

But in flip flops 🤮
My father and his mates all had motorbikes in their '20s. His was a Triumph Speed Twin 500cc. Once, they were riding in a group when one chap, who was wearing shorts and flip flops, overshot a turning at speed and applied the brakes. He also put his feet down. According to dad, he disappeared in a cloud of dust (dirt roads, or 'gravel' as we now call them); when the dust settled he was sitting with just the straps of his flip flops across his feet. The soles were gone.

My father and his mates all had motorbikes in their '20s. His was a Triumph Speed Twin 500cc. Once, they were riding in a group when one chap, who was wearing shorts and flip flops, overshot a turning at speed and applied the brakes. He also put his feet down. According to dad, he disappeared in a cloud of dust (dirt roads, or 'gravel' as we now call them); when the dust settled he was sitting with just the straps of his flip flops across his feet. The soles were gone.
I still have my right foot because of my bike boots. Never understood the shorts, trainers and no gloves brigade. Meat crayon candidates 😁

I still have my right foot because of my bike boots. Never understood the shorts, trainers and no gloves brigade. Meat crayon candidates 😁
Rode once without gear on didn't like it. occasionally ride without boots on or with jeans on instead of bike trousers/leathers. Ride far more carefully when I do and I am a fairly careful rider (not saying I wasn't quick or didn't ride hard, I just knew where my limits were from track time). My friend who's an eye surgeon used to call us donors, but as he rode with us he was aware of what he was saying.

Back