Imlach's Sweaty Hippie Funk Collection, adventure bikes, rusty rats, cruisers and other alt bastardisations of bicyclery

I like the bikes, just can't get into the racks. I don't carry enough stuff, would always prefer a backpack. To me, it looks like...View attachment 805540
I like them for shopping, I put the smaller but heavier items in the panniers and then fill up the trailer with the bigger stuff. If you can fit everything into a backpack then there's probably little need for racks sure. I could fit a lot into my field backpack for hiking but it isn't super practical when riding :D

Talking about racks. I do think racks make good sense considering it just makes your method transport even more versatile with zero adverse effects. When unloaded they can't really be felt and they don't add any significant maintenance needs. But I think it really comes down to exactly what one needs the bicycle to be, if it's a primary mode of transport for someone and they intend to use it for just about everything then racks are a no brainer. I suppose the sport side of cycling is what challenges the more utilitarian roots of the bicycle? I always used to remove racks from every bike, but I've grown quite fond of them. With a trailer as well I can now haul camping equipment that I'd usually need someone in a car to bring as well which is super neat. But it is very much horses for courses.

Rucksacks in summer really do suck. I don't mind so much in the winter but when it's summer I get so damp that I could lay down and use the fire road as a waterslide

Back