Imlach's Sweaty Hippie Funk Collection, adventure bikes, rusty rats, cruisers and other alt bastardisations of bicyclery

The owner says it feels so much better than another he has with 3 in the hub. I might have to revise plans for my woods bike, this is so wrong it's right. With everyone in modern mountain biking currently hating on front derailleurs, I could see it giving my middle finger a little bit of rest
Do it, I've yet to do it myself but am still excited to give it a go. It isn't a good alternative to a 3 speed IGH though because it does add back to the bike not only a front derailleur but also a rear one (or a tensioner) so it's certainly less reliable than an IGH.

The positive though is that unlike with an IGH, should something fail its external, visible and therefore quite fixable. But I can't imagine the shifting experience being any better than an IGH which literally is instantaneous and quiet. Also far bigger risk of snapping or dropping the chain, if you go for big jumps. So I'd choose a really gradual jumps rather than massive hops.

If you don't want to use a rear derailleur as tensioner get an Alfine 2 pulley tensioner as that one is designed for multispeed up front combined with alfine 8 or 11. Else get a sexy old road derailleur designed for those 3 speed clusters.

The owner says it feels so much better than another he has with 3 in the hub. I might have to revise plans for my woods bike, this is so wrong it's right. With everyone in modern mountain biking currently hating on front derailleurs, I could see it giving my middle finger a little bit of rest

🤔 - it's so wrong. I can see the temptation if you have a deep and meaningful relation with a cable operated hub brake.

Replacing the solid rear axle with an hollow QR axle and having a manual dingle speed would be much cleaner looking (I guess there is space for a two speed or even three speed freewheel on those right?)

1687978042178.png

A really old chain-stay mounted tensioner and a front derailleur with a suicide lever would suit it better if it was single at the back, but personally it's starting to be something else and look far from the simple machine it was intended to be.

Spanking will start after wine. :p;)

Screenshot_20230630_140558_Instagram.jpg

Of I could tell you what the frame was I would. I'm fairly sure it's a falcon from long after they'd sold the name. It's been painted about 6 times. Had cable bosses loped off, multiple forks, stems, bars, wheels....... all I remember is it had red stickers.

Latest posts

Back