i'm gonna annoy you with this one, 2024 Kona Explosif!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so a while back you saw my retro Kila Honzo, my retro aluminium O, these are really ticking boxes for me, modern bikes that look retro, to me at the moment this is the way to go, you're gonna hate me for saying but the older stuff doesn't ride that well, especially on modern trails, they're not that comfortable, especially if you're older, because of the agressive positions they have so to me it's all about the paint jobs, i know that sounds dumb but think about it, all the benefits of a modern bike but it looks as cool as your retro bike.

that's where i am at the moment, so i built this because i'd sold my fat bike which had been my winter bike, i have 2 sets of wheels available to it, 27.5 with 3" tyres and 29 with 2.6" tyres.

it's a Kona Unit, repainted as the alternate champayne gold option from 1992 kona explosif, i changed a few parts from stock, obvs the wheels in this pic, put on an XT mech, i had a thomson stem that gave me a better position i then added the Surly bar, i needed a more upright position, i wasn't going to go that high initially but i just thought i wanted comfort and initial spin feels really nice, the upright position is needed because of this cancer thing, the lump on my kidney means when leaning forward and pedalling i can now feel it being squeezed (it's the size of a tennis ball) so i decided to go higher than i would usually. quick spin and it feels great.

anyway, thoughts? love it? hate it?

:)

ex6.jpg

ex5.jpg

ex4.jpg

ex3.jpg

ex2.jpg

ex1.jpg

Well I looked at the pictures first & was like damn Kona have nailed it with this years retro colour way, oh you've done it! LOL

Looks mega man. Really cool that it is fully functional for you with your condition too, wishing you well with any treatment!!

If this was available off the peg I'd give it serious consideration. Similar style Hei Hei would definitely float my boat. I'm not a fan of modern bulky frames. For me, this is simple and elegant.
Agreed on this, this looks good! All I would prefer is have the Kona spiral logo on the HT if it were mine :)

Last edited:
I really like it and think it looks great. Most importantly it is a bike that works for you. As an ageing GT nerd, it is one of my unrealised future projects to repaint a modern frame with either a Midnight Aurora or Blue Widow paint job...

@JCS yes the fork was supposed to be black but there was a miscomunication, i don't mind though, i might out a pair rockshox in black in at some point, we'll see. not a tan wall fan though!

Back