identifying an old Shimano chain

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
I have a very lightly used 8-sp chain that can be reused. I'd like to determine what grade it is, but there's barely any markings to identify it. I'm guessing it might be a XTR 7401 chain as the majority of parts is XTR M900.

Most of the links have HG in the centre and "narrow" at the edges. The next majority have 2H marked in the centre, and a select few have VIA and Japan on them. There's one link that has a single dark/black pin, I'm guessing would be the joining pin?

Any help?

The Dura-Ace chains have Dura-Ace around a pin which is what the M900 CN-7401 was. I know as I was just looking at some off cuts of mine this morning, along with Sedis, SLT-99's as my soon want to make them in to some game, toy,
So not the XTR one.
So probably HG9x/7x as I guess i'd have moved to after my dure-Ace and SLT-99's snapped and figured it just was not worth it.

I think it's down to colour after that marking, (HG9x) Silver/Brown(or probably dark grey )* think maybe a little duller in the narrower part.... (HG7x)Brown/Silver or (HG5x) Brown/Brown can't quite remember etc.. but I always bought and still do silver/silver as I don't like the brown colour ;)

At least for the early 90's

*wide section/narrow section

Edited to add model next to colour

Edit two, to correct HG7x colour arrangement (reversed) as HG90 is brown in the middle as I just checked 1993 catalogue, next to check if 8 speed HG7x etc stayed the same colours

Edit three, I belive later version of the HG from a quick look had the number printed around the pin on the wider plates, like HG-92 or HG-72 etc..

so probably not a durace/xtr chain then. if i want to break the chain, should i use the dark pin to do so???

Attachments

• IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 956
NO do not use the dark connecting pin. Pop another one out and you are suppose to go buy another connecting pin that will fit.

It looks like the HG90 (XT range oddly for it's number) sort if no dura ace on it and if that middle bit covered in dirt is not as shiny chrome as the outer part.

That doesn't look like an M900 cassette but something more modern ? has square mud cutaway bits between teh teeth ?

EDIT should be a bit in here about the pins
http://www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/Chapter5.pdf

but i want to use a KMC quick link to attach the chain back together. disregard the cassette, that's a temp wheel i put on the bike just to hold everything up. ;)

If it fits and if it KMC links works then still do not pop the black pin out.
They widen the hole as they go in to create their fit... or something like that.
You've many more pins to push out completely :LOL:

ah well, too late. :oops:

didn't like the look of that one black pin. :LOL: and i needed to get this fitted on the RM Ti. ;)

the KMC link seemed to work fine in it's place.

..."the KMC link seemed to work fine in it's place."

I too was pleased with the KMC quick link,... for about three months.

I always keep my chains clean and silent runing by cleaning them every 100km. with a toothbrush and paraffin, and lubricating them with thick gear oil.
(Not as messy or sticky as you'd think if you don't over do it.)

After 3 months I noticed a click as I pedalled along.

I found it was the KMC quick link moving a tad laterally on every revolution.

As a test, I removed the quicklink, put it on the other way round, and the click disappered, only to reappear in a month or so.

Finally, I threw the quicklink away and now only use the standard permanent method of joining chains.

KMC chains are terrific, much better than Shimano, but the KMC quicklink is a poor design, and will damage your rings in time.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I have just received two brand new in box HG92 chains with a load of parts I bought.

On the box itself it says HG CHAIN, super narrow HG chain/9speed compatible.

You say these are XT range? Wasn't sure if I should keep them or not.

why are you digging up my old thread instead of just posting up a new one? :LOL:

a chains a chain, especially if they're new! ;)

Back