ideas for old mtb conversion

dt75

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone,
I'm in need of some advice for contenders for an old steel mtb frame (late 80s' to mid 90's, think LONG CHAINSTAYS, around 440mm ish, low BB, and relaxed HT angle) conversion to a heavy laden 26 inch wheeled tourer.
I've seen on Rivendells Flicker page an 80's Stumpjumper converted with 650B wheels, so something like that would fit the bill (although I reckon more around Rockhopper tube diameters to better handle the extra weight etc.).
I'm looking for something in good condition that I can pick up cheap, so maybe a lesser known (or defunct) brand KHS, Diamond Back ????(It's been so long I can't remember), and I can build it up and lock it any where without worrying about it getting pinched. Definitely a function over form project.
Some ideas for makes and models would be appreciated.

Thanks, and may the front fork be with you! :D

early low-end marin? i've seen muirwoods and similar sell for as little as £80.

if its a frameset only your after, there have been some daft £30 odd bargains in the sales section from time to time for early diamond backs and the like

I have a 1991 Koga Miyata Terrarunner frame that would fit the bill perfectly that i'd be willing to part with. Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Edit - Frame and fork also have rack mounts :D

Saracen, obviously! Quite nice-framed ones cost not a lot. The top end ones tend not to have rack/'grd mounting eyes, which is why I've added this Tufftrax to the small fleet (see Gallery link beneath sig line):

TuftRack.jpg

I know there's not a great deal of love on here, but I'd go for a late 80s / early 90s Reynolds 531 Raleigh. Bomb-proof frames with more mounting points than you can shake a stick at.

Can pick them up pretty cheap with decent groupset if you look about...

I have a 1990 Marin Palisades built as a drop bar tourer - I've run it like that for 16 years now and toured in the USA, Asia and Australia on it.

There isn't much point going with high-end steel frames as they are more flexible and you need something sturdy if you have 15kg of luggage on the thing. Tourers also tend to get rougher treatment. Personally I'd stick with the 26" wheels as there is tyre choice from 1.2" slick all the way to 2.3" knobbly. 650b is somewhat rare and I wouldn't fancy my chances of finding one in a bike shop in rural Thailand.

Mine is stable at over 40 mph with front and rear panniers and a barbag. It's in the 'Readers' Bikes' section.

Thanks for the suggestions eveyone. It looks like I'm making some progress here. I'll keep you posted. Cheers.

Back