Ideas for my first retro bike please. (now purchased!!!!)

TimmyMTB

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
So, my Trek Fuel 80 was stolen the other day and I need a new bike. I was going to go retro anyway and have 2 bikes but 1 retro one will do ;)

I initially have a ton to spend and in another month about £150 for upgrades and so on.

Would by hugely grateful if I could get some suggestions on what would be a good starting point, ideally a light frame and also bearing in mind I will be doing TORQ in your sleep at the end of August.

Thanks in advance guys!

Go for something mid 90s with 1 1/8th headtube as easiest to upgrade decently ie stems, headset etc.

For that budget you can get a tidy saracen, or if lucky, orange.

One simple word for you, one that will be honoured on Retrobike and that you will always look upon as the best decision ever made:

'Alpinestars'

I might suggest waiting a month then hitting with the full 250.

For that price you could get a decent sorted early 90s stumpie ready to go.

You've got all the time after for upgrades, and that would be a good basis, probably with a near complete m730 or similar groupset allowing you to change bars / stem / etc as your fancy takes you and your wallet allows.

BB

paininthe":3gu6vd09 said:
TimmyMTB":3gu6vd09 said:
Chris":3gu6vd09 said:

If the frame was an inch or 2 bigger I would be all over that!!!!

Come and have a sit, they are long. Could sort it out with nice Pace forks. Also a very maybe, dynatech to have a try on.

I'm LS15 and about on sunday.

LS15, that is way too close for my liking!!!!!!! I live near the Devon!!!!

Am working on Sunday unfortunatley but Monday evening I could come and have a look?

First thing to decide is what era and brand you fancy. With your budget you should be able to pick up something tidy. What size are you after?

Back