Ibis Mojo steel

It looks as though it was the dropout that was broken, and maybe taken the end of the chainstay with it. And the repairer has fixed it by welding a sleeve onto the dropout and brazing the sleeve around the stay.

I've never had that kind of work done, but as a buyer I'd want to know who the repairer was (admittedly he has the repair bill to show) and whether the repairer will stand behind his work if it goes wrong. I'd be reluctant to import a frame like that though!

Failed at the weld. Repair looks nicely done with braze. Not been covered up so nothing hidden. With the sort of use it will probably get, I would say once repainted and a new set of decals applied, you would never know it was there. Nice those late V brake frames and would make a smart bike.

Hi all--I'm the seller. The repair was done in the shop of Joe Bell, who is famed for his bike refinishing work, especially his excellent paint jobs. The framebuilder who did the work in Joe's shop was Rob R. He built frames at Ibis for several years before moving on, I think in 1997. He said this frame was built after he left because the style of dropout was different from what was used during his time. My understanding of the original construction (might be wrong) is that the dropout had a small tube or projection that inserted into the chainstay tube. This dropout projection sheared when the frame broke, leaving a flat surface on the dropout. In order to effect the repair, Rob cut off the end of the chainstay tube (which had some corrosion on it). Then he welded (brazed?) a tube (sleeve) onto the flat end of the chainstay, and then this sleeve fit over the chainstay tube, brazed in place. So yeah--basically as Anthony described. Hope that helps.

Back