Ibis Hot Unit, Scorcher bars, M950, Breezer Stem

An additional picture for Retrobike folks.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 960
mainlyfats":rhkup66p said:
...I'm happy to answer any questions.

In the listing, you say: "Lovely Breezer fillet brazed off road stem from - I think - the late 80's."

Can you share anything else about its "provenance"? In that era, I think most/all "Breezer" bikes were being made by American (ABM). Are you suggesting this was made by JB (the man) or some company somehow associated with Breezer-branded bicycles?

Not trying to be a ****... I'm just curious.

halaburt":2vt1o7oi said:
mainlyfats":2vt1o7oi said:
...I'm happy to answer any questions.

In the listing, you say: "Lovely Breezer fillet brazed off road stem from - I think - the late 80's."

Can you share anything else about its "provenance"? In that era, I think most/all "Breezer" bikes were being made by American (ABM). Are you suggesting this was made by JB (the man) or some company somehow associated with Breezer-branded bicycles?

Not trying to be a ****... I'm just curious.

I bought this stem in late 2007 from a collector on the West coast. I remember thinking that it looked like it might be a custom fillet - i.e. old - Salsa (without stop and roller), but was assured by the seller it was a Breeze-supplied stem. He provided the rough dating.

I would expect it to follow the Marin clamp-on style if it were actually built by the man himself (I think even his Kite bike uses this design) and this is clearly not a Type III frame supplied stem, the only stems - I believe - one could definitively say were made by Joe himself without a note. However, it very well may have been made by him or his shop.

I believe that the American Breezer-era stems were aluminum, not steel. So it's unlikely that it came from MN, unless perhaps someone like Chris Kvale made it for a drop-bar show bike.

It's also possible that this is a Shitamori-produced custom stem for one of the 2nd generation steel Breezer bikes in the very early 90's.

Anyway, it was bought to go on a Fat Chance dropbar project that never really got off the ground. I know the L.D. stems have their following - and going by your photo you're a fan! - but, to me, this is the prettiest high-rise mtb stem ever.

mainlyfats":3amw76p6 said:
Breezer stem pulled until I can answer the above question more definitively.

:(

I could care less if it is or isn't. I would buy it because it's what I need for a project.
oh well.
Looks like a stem I've seen on an early Mountain Goat.

Back