I was barracked- why am I happy?

On my lunchtime ride, a BMW driver who had to sit behind me uphill for 200 meters on a coned-off roadworks with a single lane (out in the weeds) pulled up next to me as soon as it ended and ranted through his passenger window about my rear light being too bright.
Thank you cat eye ! made my day.
I got a frenzied front beam flash from a BMW last week, presumably because of my front lights, so we've a full set 😉

As a driver, some of the fflashy flashy bike lights are over the top and unnecessary. Vehicle lights are highly regulated whereas many bike lights seem to be morse code for 'punch me in my aero helmet'

Anyway, it's a minor tizz, have this from that Facebook

*dammit, it won't load, I'll post later

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241008_064349_com_hihonor_photos_SlotAlbumActivity.jpg
    Screenshot_20241008_064349_com_hihonor_photos_SlotAlbumActivity.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 15
Likewise a lot of modern vehicle headlights are totally dazzling to oncoming motorists & road users, but for the person behind the wheel, they are alright & can see fine! The world is full of selfish people nowadays, sort yourself out & care none for nobody else, seems to be the norm.

Regulation of vehicle lights ends the minute the car leaves the show room. The amount of vehicles I encounter with broken, poorly adjusted or illegally customised lights (front and rear) is staggering, not to mention those that use full beam and nothing else.

My bike lights make drivers uncomfortable? Good, it means they have seen me.

Regulation of vehicle lights ends the minute the car leaves the show room. The amount of vehicles I encounter with broken, poorly adjusted or illegally customised lights (front and rear) is staggering, not to mention those that use full beam and nothing else.

My bike lights make drivers uncomfortable? Good, it means they have seen me.

The UK is utterly lawless. It wasn't that long ago the police would pull you over for lights not working/blown bulbs etc but it clearly does not matter these days. You can drive in the dark with your lights off, or have no working bulbs in a whole headlamp on a car & still drive carefree in the dark.
As you say, the fact they have seen a cyclist is great, that they are irate over the brightness of said light is of no concern to the cyclist. WIN

Working in a vehicle electrics workshop, I see the MOT failure sheets for wrong bulbs

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test.

Back