I want a retro road bike, want to help?

Thanks for all good advice guys, i guess it now becomes a waiting game until something shows up.

I've read that the seat tube often becomes stuck so i'll be checking that out as well when the time comes around.

Wish me luck, i have a feeling this may take a while.

Joe.

Well, i came across this on my travels, i don't know what it is but it looks in good condition.

Anybody know what this bike is?

roadie.jpg

Searching ebay for a bargin is a waste of time. I would rather buy of this site. I do and have not been disappointed. There have been a number of second hand ebay bargins that have come in the shop recently that have needed a whole lot of work costing more than the bike is worth. Not a bargin really. Would you really travel half way across the country to look at that bargin that turns out to be money pit.

Try Gumtree but be wary of knocked-off gear. Another place is your municipal dump - the guys at my local one do pull out the decent looking bikes rather than sticking them in the crusher. Agree on ebay being pricey these days - although I did get my Gios Aerodynamic for £107 a few years ago.

Joe B":1y27kxds said:
Well, i came across this on my travels, i don't know what it is but it looks in good condition.

Anybody know what this bike is?

roadie.jpg

It looks in great shape - I think (squinting at the downtube while holding the computer screen unde the table lamp :oops: ) it's a Peugeot. The derailleur looks like it might be an end-of-the-line Simplex, which'd be quite exotic. I'd guess it'll be a bit small for you though? I'm about your height and 23 or 25 inch frames tend to suit me best.

Old/vintage/retro road bikes are back in fashion because fuel/ transport and insurance costs have gone up so much. The old road bikes were made to last and were made for commuting etc etc.
I agree with what has been said about buying an old bike,unless it
has been a full rebuild and total service they will almost all need something
fixing / servicing or replacing.
I do old/vintage/retro bikes up for a hobby and have about 40 of all different makes and quality. My prized one is a 70's Merlin which is way ahead of its time and has a lovely aged look.
I would be willing to rebuild/service a bike to suit a prospective buyers budget.
If anyone is interested please get in contact.
I would use a full bike courier(Paiseley Freight) if unable to collect (£21.50),
ready to ride upon arrival.

Regards ..Quizzer

Yeah Goldie, i think its definitely to small for me which is really annoying as it seems like it has been well looked after.

Quizzer, whats your location?
Do you have a website with bikes for sale on it?

Hi Joe i live in Birmingham. I have been selling bikes on Ebay and have
got three on offer at the moment,but not your size.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260873286357? ... 1555.l2649
I have two Raleigh Sprints 60cm and and 57cm frame that are Reynolds 501 tubing with some very nice parts(campagnola mechs and shifters,wienmann alloy wheels).Hubs,crankset,wienmann brakes and levers in gold, that may be suitable for you.
I also have a 60cm coventry eagle which i think is reynolds 501 frame and forks.
Too many bikes to go through but if you let me know what size frame you are after i can see which ones are suitable for you and do a complete rebuild, and do a paint job/touch up.
I will upload pics of the suitable bikes on photobucket for you to look through when you get back to me.

Regards..Quizzer

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back