I don't get why some people don't get ebikes.

For me, it is about choices. My ebike treats far more lightly on the world than a car or even a motorbike would, never mind a child or a pet dog, or habitual flying overseas for a weekend city break - all of which I forgo. But maybe you are equally bothered by all of those things too.
I was careful to say "e mountain biking" in my post. As a substitute for a car, it is an improvement. Unfortunately, they are now trickling down to people who used to ride bikes for transportation. And unfortunately, the cheaper they become, the more disposable they become. It is easier to chuck an old Chinese motor in the ocean and buy a new one than fix it.
Here's an e bike graveyard. Are any of them twenty years old? main_1500.jpg
Again, we have the privilege of sending this to other countries to deal with

Those bikes are all identical and presumably the result of a failed hire business.

250 watts is plenty. That's as much as someone who's taken riding pretty seriously for a decent time.

500 watts is 'world class professional rider' territory, I'd think it reasonable to allow this for cargo bikes (but still 15mph limited).

Anything more than this, there's no justification for.

I was careful to say "e mountain biking" in my post. As a substitute for a car, it is an improvement. Unfortunately, they are now trickling down to people who used to ride bikes for transportation. And unfortunately, the cheaper they become, the more disposable they become. It is easier to chuck an old Chinese motor in the ocean and buy a new one than fix it.
Here's an e bike graveyard. Are any of them twenty years old?View attachment 759024
If you look closely you can see a Zaskar

Fixed that. Not the dog's fault, and the stupid owner would just get another. People need to be in control of their animal
I'll take your correction, as long as we can do the same and shoot ebike owners, I mean irresponsible/bad ebike owners*

Otherwise just shoot them all, dogs, ebike owners...

I loose a few friends especially the ones that have dogs and ride ebikes 🤔

*W.r.t your countries rules and regulations...

Here's an e bike graveyard. Are any of them twenty years old?View attachment 759024

Thank you Matt.
That's just terrifying. I have seen many of these.
What are we doing?

1689424289857.png

My guess is that many of those are not ebikes. Ebike ride share schemes are rarer than traditional bike sharing schemes. Also I don't see (m)any motors or batteries in that lot. Finally, it appears much of China's bike mountain problems may be home grown:

I'm not denying the potential waste problem, but when people are scouring the streets for vape lithium batteries, do we really think that an ebike battery would be left alone? I think there's enough money in ebikes and enough standardisation that phone like recycling/refurbishing companies will emerge. Some already exist for ebike batteries.

The grey/orange bikes seem to be mobikes - they are not ebikes. The yellow ones look like ofo bikes - again they aren't ebikes. Both Chinese bike sharing companies...

Last edited:
Not ebikes but cheap shaft driven plasticish bikes.
Only electrics are a charger to charge the GNSS(GPS) electrics and the locking systems.
Mobikes I believe.

There are loads of China (we don't really send as they start and I think that is just oversupply for China itself..
Have a link to something related to this...

EdIT:
2lesslemons has the link above.

And another to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobike

Indeed these aren’t e-bikes. But are a terrible waste.

Broken market. Or never a proper market in the first place?

There are equivalent e-scooter graveyards although these are the product of local legislation restricting shared vehicles - er....in China? Is that not into shared ownership? Apparently not.

I think competition in a new market, seeing how it goes.
Also then humans get involved and bugger it all up, leaving them all over the place, vandalism and then that creates a backlash.

I'm sure they will be ebike versions of these collections in the future, even if these are not. Ebikes/eScooter will just get dumped when they are warn or the project doesn't go well.

In 20 years time RetroE-Bike will pick them up and repurpose them with their newly found electronics skills and battery refurb garage businesses. Affordable vintage nostalgia for the good old days when you had to pedal just to use the motor and choose between 10 competing standards that changed every year and you're the one that remembers how it all went together. Ah, the simple days.

Latest posts

Back