I accidentally bought a Pace RC200 F6...

Then I started polishing my mix of old M737 and M739 Shimano XT bits, plus a White Industries chainset that had all seen better days. A cheap Dremel knock-off (thanks globalisation!), some Autosol and jewellers rouge have brought them up nicely. Here are a couple of bits midway through...
SgZlmy3.jpg

Several hours later, they're all ready to start going on the bike.

Oh, and I ordered some new Pace decals from http://www.dnfive.co.uk (coincidentally, the only Pace decals they have are for the F6 frame). Plus I bought some repro ODI Longneck grips -- I was always a fan of ODI or Porcipaws BITD -- never quite got on with the Ritchey hexagonal grips that seemed to be everywhere.

So, here's the RD and chainset attached after a fair amount of polishing.

Annoyingly the BB is slightly too narrow for the White Industries cranks. I've got a RaceFace set on the way, so I'll leave the UN-72 (110mm spindle, IIRC) in place to see if that fits better. The Pace manual gives some recommended spindle lengths, but don't list either WI or RF cranks.
8LDb0tz.jpg

QA71mpt.jpg

I wanted to get rid of the corrosion/oxidisation on the parts without them ending up looking too new. A nice patina of use, just like on the frame!

Decals removed. I actually quite like the stealthy look, though I assume the darker anodising will fade in time to match the rest of the bike. For reasons you'll see below, I certainly hope so!
WJqZHxV.jpg

And now with the new decals in place. Annoyingly these aren't quite the same size as the old ones. Great quality in every other respect though.
McgMZFZ.jpg

I've also replaced the carbon fibre effect cable rub stickers on the head tube and chain stay. Another eBay special at under 2 quid!

The cables are a little tired, so I'll probably replace them with some Jagwire ones in due course (maybe in red to match the grips!).

And here's the frame in all it's glory at the moment.

To summarise, here are all the bits I've added:
  • Flite saddle
  • Control Tech seat post (29.4mm -- no shim!)
  • M737 Deore XT read derailleur
  • NOS M739 Deore XT front derailleur -- an eBay bargain!
  • White Industries chainset from an old Marin. This will be replaced by a RaceFace Turbine set in due course (they're on their way from Holland at the moment!)
  • Shimano UN-72 BB
  • Red ODI Longneck grips
  • X Lite ski bends that I had lying around
  • Carbon fibreish frame protector stickers
  • New (slightly too small) decals

Still to add/sort are:
  • Ringlé H2O cage in silver (another thing lying around!)
  • M739 XT V-Brakes
  • RaceFace Turbine chainset (when it arrives)
  • Crud Catcher -- I've got one from my old Orange, probably early 2000s. Need to see what a 97 model looks like? Star Wars effect 'Crud Catcher' or is that too early?
  • The steerer tube, obviously
  • Some red anodised bolts'n'bits (can you do a 90's retrobike without some anodised trick bits?)

And I'm on the lookout for:
  • Some period correct Hope skewers -- ideally in red
  • Hope Ti Glide rear 32h hub in red or silver (if red, then I'll need a matching 32h front hub too!)
  • Maybe a Ringlé Moby Deuce seat post to match the Zooka stem. I'm pretty happy with the Control Tech one though (and they probably don't split as often as the Moby did!)
  • Period correct tyres -- thinking WTB Velociraptor or similar UK gloopy mud compliant rubber
  • New decals for the fork and maybe head tube (current one is a little tired). Probably one for Gil_M once he's back from his hols
  • Err, that's probably about it for now.

Anyway, here's the money shot:
wL9b3yo.jpg

So, a quick bit of research shows that the Mr Crud website has a brief history of their products (I'd forgotten all about the Crud Claw -- did anyone actually have one of these?). And it turns out that I have an old Crud Catcher Mk.4. And, hallelujah, it was launched in 1997. So, nice period correct Crud Catcher ready to go

For anyone interested, here's the site: http://www.crudproducts.com/history/

Fork decals - try Pace. They had a retro parts section in their webshop which listed all manner of decals. If they haven't try Justbackdated.

Radar":ccmjnlrk said:
Fork decals - try Pace. They had a retro parts section in their webshop which listed all manner of decals. If they haven't try Justbackdated.
Thanks, though I think they may have changed their website. All I could see was a bunch of elastomers for old forks!

I'll try emailing them though, just in case.

Oh, and like your sig. That sheep is part of the reason I always wanted a Pace too!

Back