Howsthatgonnaworkthen? XTR mech with chainstay cable routing

MikeD":1lxheh1o said:
Slightly bewildered that anyone would think that this is in any way an unusual setup, but still. Nice smooth loop FTW :)

It's unusual if you never had it on your bike I guess, like me.
I think the loop looks fugly but I have now sourced a rollamajig.

Re: Howsthatgonnaworkthen? XTR mech with chainstay cable rou

nickfrog":1v5wwni7 said:
is it a case of putting a massive ugly loop?

not ugly, but one of the ingredients that makes a bike aesthetically pleasing, along with five arm cranks and sloping top tubes.

kanerdog1x1":2kwu5blc said:
nickfrog":2kwu5blc said:
not ugly, but one of the ingredients that makes a bike aesthetically pleasing, along with five arm cranks and sloping top tubes.

I've got 4-arm cranks so we clearly have different values Sir. :D

nickfrog":3q3wekko said:
kanerdog1x1":3q3wekko said:
nickfrog":3q3wekko said:

I've got 4-arm cranks so we clearly have different values Sir. :D

All together now:

"Well the world don't turn to the beat of just one drum" etc.

A bit of Nokon cabling can be run tighter, ie less loop.

:shock:
:|

It's worked like that fine and dandy without any problems for longer than I've been alive.
Just don't make the loop to long as it pushes the mech up and is more than you need, too short and it pulls it down and increases friction in the cable. It should enter inline with the barrel for the best setup if possible.

The short lived M951 with the ugly wheel is the mech you would want, but it is rapid rise. (or moden day shodow if staying with shimano) else the rolly wheel thigns that I persoanlly think are also ugly and probably heavier than a bit of cable. Plus with mud/dirt/twigs in them cannot be as smooth as cable.
Each to their own though.

summerof1991":3b1dertl said:
kaiser":3b1dertl said:
A bit of Nokon cabling can be run tighter, ie less loop.

I was just going to say that! Is Nokon retro though?

nah, but looking at the frame and wheel period correctness isnae too much of an issue :)

Back