How old is my Marin Bear Valley SE?

You can date it from the number, it's the first set of digits after the letter. Yours looks around 1995-6 off the top of my head. There is a full set of catalogues on this site, plus you can search for a 'decoding Marin frame numbers' thread which exists on here too.

looks like a 92 to me, the frame for Pine, Eldridge and Bear Valley SE was identical, see link in my sig for pic of 92 Eldridge

I seem to remember something along the lines that in the early 90's some companies used the same frame but painted them and kitted them out differently dependent on the model. So in Marins case 1 frame served more than 1 model

Cheers daugs :)

The bike was always very well maintained and never abused but had 3-4 years hard riding.

The rear wheel finally collapsed and so I replaced them, but otherwise it's standard.

It was always great to ride, And I'm really keen to restore it but I am really unsure if it is 'worth' the time, effort & money to fully refurbish it - and once I have it'll be too nice to ride.

I'm not asking here as I know there is a correct place to do that but I am assuming it is probably worth £50-£100 (though I am sure I paid a couple of hundred for the wheels but maybe I'm wrong). The rear never seemed to fit quite correctly and needed a a packer inserted between the cassette and hub when fitted at the shop.

Anyway, the question is what do I need to budget? I realise that is a how long is a piece of string question but want to know what I'm letting myself in for. I'm not talking about a period perfect restoration, but I was thinking of stripping and powder coating the frame, then all new gear sets, bearings etc.

Maybe an unrealistic goal? Are there reputable firms that do this kind of work or is it simply uneconomic :shock:

It's not a big money bike and unlikely to be in our life times so get it running or if it is already..leave it be unless your going to keep it for some time and want to spend your cash. It would be very easy to spend more than it's worth

Sylus - wise words I think! It is running but needs an overhaul for me to feel confident about using it for more than a trip to the supermarket. Shame to see it go for scrap though, so am I best to sell for parts (maybe they are only worth a few pounds, in which case not worth the effort), then the frame which is easier to mail, or sell as a whole?

Back