how long do you spend making a decision about buying a bike?

2manyoranges

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
In the 1990s I would take maybe 2-3 weeks to make the decision to buy a bike.

Marin Palisades.....a few months of measuring, prevaricating, indecision.
Marin Rocky Road.....couple of weeks
Klein Pinnacle...maybe a month

Lots of reading of reviews. Lots of discusson with friends. Grab a catalogue from somewhere.
Hrrrrr.
Hummm.
Dither dither.
Decision.

Recently saw a Stanton ti frameset advertised secondhand with Pikes. Saw it. Pressed the button.....maybe.........20 seconds later.
No obviously conscious thought. .

See it. Buy it.

Maybe when you get THIS old you just know when something is right.

Last edited:
In the 1990s I would take maybe 2-3 weeks to make the decision to buy a bike.

Marin Palisades.....a few months of measuring, prevaricating, indecision.
Marin Rocky Road.....couple of weeks
Klein Pinnacle...maybe a month

Lots of reading of reviews. Lots of discusson with friends. Grab a catalogue from somewhere.
Hrrrrr.
Hummm.
Dither dither.
Decision.

Recently saw a Stanton ti advertised secondhand with Pikes. Saw it. Pressed the button.....maybe.........20 seconds later.
No obviously conscious thought. .

See it. Buy it.

Maybe when you get THIS old you just know when something is right.

Depends on the level of spends vs current available toy money vs how much I want it.

Generally a new new bike will involve a lot more consideration (most likely involving test rides). Retro toys probably have more “stewing time” as I’ll have worked out what I want, and then be waiting for the right one to appear.

In the 1990's I didn't really worry about money much at all! Didn't have much anyway, bike buying decisions took a few weeks of reading magazine reviews, then months of saving from part time jobs to eventually buy it.
In the 2020's bike buying decisions are measured in days, hours, or minutes. Never test ridden a bike before buying, it's more a case of "ooh!! That looks nice!", quick check of the bank account, then just buy it (or not, depending on what the bank balance of truth reveals) 😅

I lay with crippling anxiety every night as I open Kleinanzeigen. Will I eat tomorrow?

Usually fret about it for weeks to be honest. Unless something just "clicks" it'll take a while to acquire it. Only 2 or 3 have been instant impulsive purchases.

I normally take a good look, pick faults, realise its too small for me, then get disappointed when it sells🤣.

But at least this method helps keep the house reasonably bike free....

Possibly the result of being in the fortunate position of not having to worry about money as much.
That’s definitely part of it. But I think that mountain bikes have been such an important part of my life for so long that they are a priority in my head and for my personal expenditure. I run a low cost car, don’t drink and have carefully saved all my life - and the savings go on kids (cost centre 1 and 2) and … bikes.

Latest posts

Back