HOW I REMOVE XTR PEDALS FROM TOPLINE CRANKS

Steel wool, sandpaper, etc did not work.

Attempted to file flats in XTR spindle - made no progress - maybe need sharper/rougher file!

Have bought 12mm drill bit - will attempt to drill out spindle from Allen key end ...

Spindle is likely to be hardened steel so be dificult to file.

Removing pedal and clamping spindle hard in vice and turning in correct direction surely has to work?

Put end of crank in boiling water to allow heat to do its work, alloy expands more than steel. If crank is not carbon fibre introduce it to mr blowtorch

Take care wirh carbon fibre cranks as these have alloy insert that may be loosened in the process.

Re:

I use an adjustable pipe wrench that grips the harder you turn.the steel jaws don't slip...never failed ...even on a rusted caprice I worked on once.just hope your are turning the right way.I ask because I once fitted a chains etc to the wrong side of a bb..I blame the pretty brunette I did it for....

Am i right in saying that the end of the axle is threaded ? I little sleeve with bearings in it and secured right at the end :?

Pretty sure it is.
Put as many nuts you have that fit on the end of it and tighten against each other .Threadlock in place and leave to harden.
Try undoing it using the bottommost nut so its acting against the nuts above it, which may be enough to move it before attempting to grind flats.
I'd also look to fitting a flat screwdriver into the allankey slot at the back. It is hardened steel but you might if hammered in be enough to create small nicks that the edge of the blade can grip against.

several people have mentioned it but you havent confirmed it...you do know that the non drive side crank is a left hand thread ie it unscrews the opposite way to a normal thread,clockwise..?

Back