HOW I REMOVE XTR PEDALS FROM TOPLINE CRANKS

thanks(mostly) for your assistance in this matter. Will update with progress if interested.

sorry about CAPS LOCK i am a NoViCe :cry:

Give it a good soak in lube for a day or so. Clamp an allen key in the vice, place pedal onto allen key press down with one hand and keep pressing, using a soft headed mallet hit the end of your cranks in the appropriate direction to undo. Should only take a couple of firm strikes to undo any 'seal' you'll be able to do the rest by hand.

In the unlikely event this doesn't work a quick blast with a hot air gun then repeat.

Disassemble pedal. File flats onto the section of the pedal axle that is usually hidden deep inside the pedal. Wind it off. You might find this is how it was put on. Good luck with it!

Disassemble pedal (ie turn that silver nut, and the whole thing will move off - you will probably need to remove the ball bearings and spinning collar) and then put the spindal in a suitably place in a proper vice jaw for round tubes, yank up the vice and turn the cranks.

They were probably only put in by hand and self tightened when riding - as pedals do.

have you got them off yet?

the taking apart then gripping the spindle inside the pedal that is not used for the bearing would be best as it will leave them unmarked externally.

rememembmer that the RH pedal thread is clockwise (opposite to the BB thread on that side with is anti-C) and LH pedal is anti-clockwise

Re: Did you ever succeed?

Hi GuyMuttley21,

Did you ever succeed in removing the XTR pedal spindle from the crank.

I am in a very similar position. The 8mm Allen key socket has been rounded - so the Allen key slips out. PlusGas has not helped. The pipe wrench I bought does not grip. Mole wrench does not grip.

I have stripped the pedal down to the spindle - so filing seems the next option. Happy to sacrifice the spindle - want to save the crank.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers, Jottie!

Back