How good is too good ?

ameybrook":1kx0iw9r said:
scant":1kx0iw9r said:
<cough> Ameybrooks secret project <cough>

You sound almost as anxious as I do. Dont build it up, I'm starting to think it might be a letdown on this forum. Its still a long way's out :roll:

it'll go down a lot better on mtbr & mtb-classic.de I expect.. but thats not the point surely? build it for yourself dude! as long as you love it I wouldnt even care what anyone else thought ;)

scant":18v6f5ui said:
been there, done that in 92-95 with more than I care to remeber. which is why it hangs on a wall now rather than the massive irritation of breaking stuff in the middle of nowhere & then walk home ;)

Your longest walk home?
Mine about 3 hours because of a broken rear Paul Derri,..

Defiant":1vhr6ag2 said:
scant":1vhr6ag2 said:
been there, done that in 92-95 with more than I care to remeber. which is why it hangs on a wall now rather than the massive irritation of breaking stuff in the middle of nowhere & then walk home ;)

Your longest walk home?
Mine about 3 hours because of a broken rear Paul Derri,..

too many to count! :LOL:

I'd take a three hour walk out vs being the object of a five-hour search and rescue mission in December.

That sucked.

ameybrook":updvhtjk said:
I'd take a three hour walk out vs being the object of a five-hour search and rescue mission in December.

That sucked.

You win again. My story about a broken post in BC doesnt come close.

scant":4elo2akf said:
.... plus i'd vastly prefer to ride any of my modern bikes more than any outdated ill performing retro sh,te ;) :LOL: ;)

Scant, never misses an opportunity to big up old bikes!!!!

(Above tongue in cheek of course)

i think it's just a question of being able to afford (and being willing in second place) to own bikes or other stuff and not using it "as intended". i get the impression that those who can afford don't mind and just do it and those who can't vent their jealousy by dissing owners of "wall hangers" and "garage queens".

all that consumer stuff is in first place made to create income for the builder or company which assembled them - which all the bikes here did i'd assume.

funny that this topic doesn't die. every now and then a noob (troll?) brings it up again just to steer the pot it seems...

Carsten

I wasnt dissing owt.
I just said ,when is a bike too good to use.I guess it all does come down to cash in the end.Some kid in the '80s growing up dreaming of owning that PK ripper with the flite cranks worked out he would have to deliver 12 ton of daily mails and would be 39 before he could get it. Fortunately today he works at Canary Wharf dealing in ,ironically ,futures.

But I do think they should be used.Clearly I can see that many here are.

And it's all relative.My dilemma is this.My dead DB Axis has seen extensive 'proper ' use in it's 19 yrs with me."How did it die"? ,someone asked.Slowly ,over 19 yrs is the answer.About 3 yrs ago i noticed a small hole under the top tube. I poked it and it collapsed in on itself ,revealing a hole about the size of a ha'penny.Horrified, there was only one thing I could do. Duck tape.Try not to worry. Now as i've got older I tend not to 'huck' but i still ride fairly hard.
Getting air on a duck taped frame is a no-no ,but a blast down the Rivington 'Ice Cream Run'.It'd be rude not to. The last time I rode it i was a bit concerned and it hampered my riding, just a bit,but it was there in the back of my mind.
FFWWD>>>( make that squeaky noise now)
I've sourced a very tidy 'replacement' for my Axis. A virtually identical ,v clean '89 ,with a bit of history.
Obviously it's already 19 yrs old so how many more ' ice cream runs ' does it have in it.?
Ok ,it's just a mass market large volume bike ,but really ,how many can there be over here.?( my old one was/is no1 of a batch of 2).
People that know me ,know I am going to ride it.I cant not do.
But I will be pissed off when those mint Araya RM17s get scratched up.

Ok ,I'm going washing up.It's the butlers night off.

Back