How good is too good ?

depends on how irreplaceable it is. if its a production kona, spesky, marin gt then of course ride it.

some stuff was made in such mega limited quantities & has such rarity, i'm thinking Kais Tinker Adriot, Ashoks Arctos, Carstens Merlin Elevator, Noahs salsa titanium & Cunninghams, Fillet Brazed Merlin Tomac (& mine ;) ) <cough> Ameybrooks secret project <cough> etc etc then these should be hung on a wall.

I'd rather ride the pimpy stuff and then hang it on my wall when its broken. Better to have a broken pauls mech on the wall with a story about how you knackered it bouncing off a tree, than have a new one on the wall with a story about how you paid £300 on e-bay for it.

Russell":1684mojc said:
I'd rather ride the pimpy stuff and then hang it on my wall when its broken. Better to have a broken pauls mech on the wall with a story about how you knackered it bouncing off a tree, than have a new one on the wall with a story about how you paid £300 on e-bay for it.

I agree with you on that. enjoy then hang on the wall. I hope to keep my bikes till that day :D

MadCowKev":330q9c5i said:
My current build is leaning towards "garage queen" as it has so many NOS parts - Ringle, Grafton, Bullseye etc. However that said I'm sure the temptation will again overcome me and it'll make an appearance somewhere

I'm in the same boat and was determined to hang my Funk on the wall cos it's cost me £££££ in NOS bling but that made me get all disillusioned about the whole RetroBike thing so it's gonna get it's ass dirty and thrown round Rowney Warren when I can be bothered to build it ( :oops: )

This is turning out to be a real 'Light the blue touchpaper and retire' kinda thread ain't it.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Welcome aboard muddyfox_courier ;)

Quite like the sound of this. Buy cool stuff, trash it in a big way, have a photo (B&W with popped colour bike!) on the wall with remains of cool stuff mounted with it.

Cool, let us see who can trash the most expensive piece of kit!

scant":33ogu4cr said:
<cough> Ameybrooks secret project <cough>

You sound almost as anxious as I do. Dont build it up, I'm starting to think it might be a letdown on this forum. Its still a long way's out :roll:

Since joining here, I've built 7 bikes. I've ridden most of them, but most were purpose-built for display... The M2 for example, was too big from the start. I never even through a leg over it. It was a fun project, but buiders' remorse hit me pretty hard, so I started searching out projects I could ride.

So now I have four in progress, on three of which I plan to put some serious time.

I dunno whats best :?

I like looking at my RTS when its clean, polished and looking bling......so at the moment I'm leaning towards using my 07 bike day to day, and saving the RTS for 'special' times, like RB meets and events where it'll be appreciated.

Having said that, my LTS isn't retro-precious to me like the RTS (I've had it from new) so that will get taken out a little more.

South Bound":3chjph5i said:
Quite like the sound of this. Buy cool stuff, trash it in a big way, have a photo (B&W with popped colour bike!) on the wall with remains of cool stuff mounted with it.

Cool, let us see who can trash the most expensive piece of kit!

been there, done that in 92-95 with more than I care to remeber. which is why it hangs on a wall now rather than the massive irritation of breaking stuff in the middle of nowhere & then walk home ;)

plus i'd vastly prefer to ride any of my modern bikes more than any outdated ill performing retro sh,te ;) :LOL: ;)

neilll":1o3i8vsr said:
This is turning out to be a real 'Light the blue touchpaper and retire' kinda thread ain't it.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:

nar, seems to come up once a week these days, done to death & all that ;)

Back