How do you tell if a fork is carbon?

spike3":2pyi7sb3 said:
The exotic carbon forks were all carbon weave effect on the carbon ones. Weigh it and then check the weight against Carbon Cycles brilliant website which lists every models weight.

+1 .... although an issue with that is the steerer column is probably cut, but that can be guestimated with an old cut-off using a cm per gram rating. I'm pretty sure the Exotics did not have a carbon steerer, but aluminium anyway.

lewisfoto":2chqccaw said:
JamesM":2chqccaw said:
Leave it next to a frame or fork you know to be painted aluminium for an hour or so. If it feels warmer to the touch than the frame then it's carbon if it doesn't then it's metal. Touch other non-metallic objects nearby and see how it compares with them!!! ;)

I see what you are getting at here the temperature would need to be very cold and two forks would need to start out at the same temp. But an interesting idea nonetheless.

I don't think they'd need to be very cold, but because they are painted outside/garage/shed temperature would be better than room temp. It's easy to feel the difference in temperature between the carbon fork and the aluminium frame on my roadbike just by touching them. The frame feels like metal and the fork doesn't.

Hey guys thanks for all your replies, i tried the tapping test and the temperature test and seems to point to it being alluminium (I don't believe exotic do a steel or ti). I showed them to a bike mech last night and he also confirmed. Looks like I've been mis- sold them so their goin back- was pretty dissapointed with the overall quality anyway. Thanks again for being awesome and helping me out :D

Back