How do you tell if a fork is carbon?

willn

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, just got a pair of Exotic carbon forks off of ebay, only thing is I'm wondering if they are actually the aluminum version. They seem fairly heavy and are a kind of matt black as opposed to the 'meshed' appearance that I associate with carbon forks. Any advise on how to tell the difference? Would the sound be different when tapped? Thanks very much for any advise

After it snaps in half you will be able to see the carbon fibers...

But seriously when you tap on carbon has a certain noise that is different from aluminum and steel. Where the metal might have a ping sound carbon is more of a thud.

Carbon can be painted, it's not always left "naked".

Try a Google Images search to see if they made the carbon forks in black.

Try scratching a very small area of the paint off, alloy will be silver underneath obviously. Use touch-up paint (like for car paint) afterwards.

The exotic carbon forks were all carbon weave effect on the carbon ones. Weigh it and then check the weight against Carbon Cycles brilliant website which lists every models weight.

yeah thats why was questioning, was thinking hmmm magnet... I guess comparing steel to Ti eh? don't mistake aluminium for steel too often.

Leave it next to a frame or fork you know to be painted aluminium for an hour or so. If it feels warmer to the touch than the frame then it's carbon if it doesn't then it's metal. Touch other non-metallic objects nearby and see how it compares with them!!! ;)

JamesM":3l91pr26 said:
Leave it next to a frame or fork you know to be painted aluminium for an hour or so. If it feels warmer to the touch than the frame then it's carbon if it doesn't then it's metal. Touch other non-metallic objects nearby and see how it compares with them!!! ;)

I see what you are getting at here the temperature would need to be very cold and two forks would need to start out at the same temp. But an interesting idea nonetheless.

Back