How do I put these brakes back together?! Dia Compe XCE

MrBen

Dirt Disciple
I'm finally putting together the 1991 GT Tequesta that I picked up last year from this forum.

It was all going ok until I got to the front brakes - the right hand side (as you are facing it) is a normal canti with the little spring and the holes you put the end of the spring in. But the other side is different. Got it all apart to clean it but I've no idea how it goes back together so it actually works! The brakes are Dia Compe XCE

I know its something really simple, but I don't have a clue. Help! Yes - I will pay more attention when I take stuff apart next time!

Can anyone tell me how it goes back together?

Cheers!

Do you not have another one to compare it to?

I'd guess the cylindrical Bush goes in the hole to mount onto the frame brake boss. The bolt then goes through it . The spring goes in the back and one end locates into a small recess in the brake arm, the plastic cap goes on to cover the spring.
Dunno about the other bit though, maybe goes onto the frame brake boss first and then the end of the spring locates into it from the looks of things?

Re:

does this help.........

$_57.JPG

RBG

often if you google/search a 'how to' thread ... you can find a mini-vid for any procedure or question out there ...

Re:

And now that you know how to mount them, then you need to set the tension right, which is done with a fixed key (usually a 13 mm and the fixing bolt, tightening against each other the same you would do with a threaded headset.

You can see the explanation from, who else, Sheldon Brown, at around the middle of the page:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

Back