How do I clean up my V8’s?

Monkeeee01

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I’ve just acquired a pair of DMR V8’s that have cosmetically seen better days.

What do people recommend to give them a good clean up?

Would paint stripper or degreaser work to bring them back to a shine?

Thanks in advance

IMG_6113.jpeg

a shortish bath (just the cages mind!) in some drain clearing gel or similar is great for quickly removing the outer layers of crud and oxidisation - dilute it 3:1 with some hot water and you can almost see the stuff come off (literally minutes is all you need)

however while it will leave a nice clean surface it won't polish them :)

It's a lot of elbow grease with sandpaper (or emery cloth strips are better for hard to get to places) I'm afraid, then some metal polish for a nice finish. If you can find a decent buffing wheel or suitable drill or rotary tool head then that might help, but its very easy to also screw up the finish with powertools if you aren't careful (NEVER use those harder grinding bits you get with dremels for example)

if the bolts and spindles have any rust then leaving them in a jar of vinegar over night is generally a good and cheap way of getting rid of a lot of that - again, use some metal polish to regain a nice finish

if it was me I'd just clean them with draino and accept a fairly 'rustic' surface finish I think - those V8s would be a total PITA to polish i think with all the nooks and crannys...

Back