How bad is too bad when it comes to rust on a frame......??

Re:

Lightweight frames have paper thin walls, so I would not be too concerned were I not using it to hammer downhill routes, jumps and such.

Old Land Rovers don't rust when cared for. Like bikes.

Re: Re:

Osella":3eo1j4xj said:
..........It's an odd one, but oxidization of metals does to a point preserve them..........

while that is the case with Aluminium, where a layer of Aluminium Oxide forms a barrier to prevent further oxidation, Iron Oxides will be impacted by water and the rusting process continues through the metal as the air and water can still get to metal through the rust. Treatment with Phosphoric Acid creates an Iron Phosphate compound which halts the process.

Re: Re:

daugs":ej2m5n80 said:
Osella":ej2m5n80 said:
..........It's an odd one, but oxidization of metals does to a point preserve them..........

while that is the case with Aluminium, where a layer of Aluminium Oxide forms a barrier to prevent further oxidation, Iron Oxides will be impacted by water and the rusting process continues through the metal. Treatment with Phosphoric Acid creates an Iron Phosphate compound which halts the process.

Is that the type of thing that Kurust is....??

Thanks for the help chaps. Probably have had frames at least this bad before, and not worried about it, but this one really is something I want to try and save....

Re:

not sure what the active ingredient in Kurust is but its the same principle, its the Phosphoric Acid in a well known fizzy beverage that means its good for treating rust as well.

Re:

Right chaps, very VERY little effort this afternoon got me to this stage, thinking with some more work and careful application of primer/paint, I don't have a lot to worry about here....?

Sorry for poor lighting on pics, left it a bit late and it was getting dark! ('Before' pics added at end for comparison....)

Attachments

• Cindy and bits 006.JPG
    Cindy and bits 006.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 407
  • Cindy and bits 007.JPG
    Cindy and bits 007.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 407
  • Merida forks - rust on Kona 015.JPG
    Merida forks - rust on Kona 015.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 407
  • Merida forks - rust on Kona 017.JPG
    Merida forks - rust on Kona 017.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 407
  • Merida forks - rust on Kona 016.JPG
    Merida forks - rust on Kona 016.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 408
Re:

:LOL:

As the actress said to the bishop, fnar fnar!!

Thanks chaps, will try and get it finished and painted up soon, while the heating is on full blast to get it properly dry. May see what I think of it with just the primer on, proper rat look!!

Pics when there's any progress...

Latest posts

Back