Horizontal Drop Outs, Singlespeed and securing rear wheel

richi78

Devout Dirtbag
Ok, Having a blonde moment and not really getting what I need to do.

Building up my Bianchi SASS which has horizontal drop outs and put the rear wheel in, slipped over the chain and pulled the wheel pack to put tension in it. Secured the quick release skewer and made sure the wheel is in line.

But.... will the QR skewer be enough to stop the wheel sliding forward?
If not, then do I use a tensioner/tugg nut thingy?
If so, how?

I have a Surly Tugg Nut, but every which way I fit it, pulls the wheel at an angle and doesnt seem to work at all and its getting annoying! They say that only one is needed which doesnt make much sense because its pulling it at an angle.

Guidance, advice and a quick slap of common sense would be appreciated.

Personally I have never found QRs to be the best thing to use with horizontal dropouts, I've always used allen key skewers, 'Fun Bolts' (allen bolts that screw directly into the axle) or solid axles as QRs never seem to tighten up enough to stop slippage.

If I may be mildly pedantic for a moment, they're not horizontal dropouts (which point forward), they're track ends :)

Put the tugnut on the drive side - axle through bit with hole, bolt bits pointing backwards, flat bit resting against back edge of track ends. If you tighten the nut it should pull the bit with the hole backwards. The tugnut will locate the driveside, you just need to hold the wheel straight while you do the QR up. If the chain's a bit slack, undo the QR, do up the tugnut a bit, pull the wheel straight by hand, do up QR. There's a knack ;-)

pete_mcc":3lf2uisx said:
Personally I have never found QRs to be the best thing to use with horizontal dropouts, I've always used allen key skewers, 'Fun Bolts' (allen bolts that screw directly into the axle) or solid axles as QRs never seem to tighten up enough to stop slippage.

^^^what he said

Yep, as above. QRs are fine until you use a bit of muscle at which point the tyre is immediately shoved against the left chainstay, very annoying.

QR+tugnut=problem goes away. That said, if I was choosing a new rear hub I'd probably go for one I could stick gert big bolts into ;-)

It'll never work with QRs, they don't do up tight enough. Track nuts are the way forward.

Back