Hope RX chainset/bottom bracket and centrelock lockring issues

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I recently bought a second hand Hope RX chainset which looks in really good condition and I have brand new Hope bottom bracket for it.

When tightening the crank bolt the axle starts to bind and won't turn smoothly. The Hope docs suggest 50nm but I can't get anywhere near that. Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Oh and it's a 68mm BSA if that makes any difference. I had no issues fitting the previous SRAM Rival crankset so not sure what's going on...

I was using the instructions with the bottom bracket which had 2 spacers on the drive side for a 68mm. I'll give it a try with one each side. Hopefully you've saved me a trip to my lbs. Thanks!

Bugger looks like the bottom bracket only comes with 2.5mm spacers and I don't have any 1mm. Looks like I'm going to the bike shop anyway!

Cranks all sorted now, thanks @clubby.

Now on to problem number 2 :)

I've got some Whisky No 9 Gravel/CX forks and the centrelock lock ring on the Hope Pro 5 hubs is rubbing on the inside of the fork blades. I've tried both internal and external Hope lock rings and they both catch the forks. Can anyone suggest a solution? Maybe a spacer on the thru axle or a lower profile 3rd party lock ring?

I find these sorts of incompatibilities infuriating! :mad:

IMG20240917154606.jpg

That looks like a pretty chunky lock ring. Can you stick a set of calibers on them and get a measurement? I can check that against my DT swiss ones, which look thinner.
Spacer on the axle of just going to screw something else up. :LOL:

They're both about 4.6mm but the internal one is chamfered. It isn't quite as bad but still rubs on the fork.

I've also emailed Hope to see if they have any suggestions.

This is the one I have

I’ve measured it and the lock ring is only 2mm thick. Clearance is pretty tight on my steel fork. Can’t imagine that hope one would fit if it’s 4.6mm.

I've been chatting to Hope and one of their mechanics has the same fork and hub which clears with no problem. They're a bit stumped but suggested I may have any earlier version of the fork which has less clearance.

In the meantime I've tried a standard Shimano SM-RT81 centrelock ring and that clears with about 0.2mm to spare. That's a bit tight but at least the wheel spins and doesn't catch on the fork now.

Back