Hope headset removal - Problem

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Does anyone know if a standard headset removal tool(1"-1 1/8") is the only one that will possibly remove Hope bearing in headsets, or if the 1 1/8"- 1 1/2" one will fit ?.

I've got said Hope headset, and it is indeed the one that has the non removable bearings and when it went in it was tight as anything and my usual bit of wood isnt working, meaning i have to buy a headset removal tool, which is something I've been meaning to do for at least 15 years, but always managed with a bit of hardwood so kept putting it off.
All my bikes are now taper, so 1"-1 1/8" removal tools are not something i will have a need for, but 1 1/8"- 1 1/2" will.
But im unsure if this wider tool will fit into the narrower opening due to the bearings being in place.

Anyone understand that ? :LOL:

I dont want to use a metal rod as it will damage the edges, and it was seriously tight going in so i'd much rather have the removal solution be the tool which puts pressure all around the edge rather that in one spot

I would have thought the handle part would still fit, as it is designed for removing 1-1/8" cups. Should just mean the prongs spread out further to reach the larger cups on a larger headset.

Are you talking about the tool that is basically a 300mm -ish steel tube with 4 slots cut in one end that is flared out?
I made one from 1" diameter steel tube, cut 4 slots about 6" long, flared it out so it would positively engage the headset inside head-tube.
Has worked fine on several 1-1/8th inch headsets including Hopes.

I’ve got a couple of the standard removal tools (a job lot purchase gave me a spare).

If you want one, I’ll give it to you for the price of postage.

Are you talking about the tool that is basically a 300mm -ish steel tube with 4 slots cut in one end that is flared out?
I made one from 1" diameter steel tube, cut 4 slots about 6" long, flared it out so it would positively engage the headset inside head-tube.
Has worked fine on several 1-1/8th inch headsets including Hopes.
Yup, thats the thing.
Its because the bearing is in that the opening is a lot narrower. And just wondering if the bigger tool will fit in through it.

I've seen a number of the diy ones, but Unfortunately I dont even have a steel tube to fabricate the tool with.
I should just buy the 1 1/8"-1 1/2" tool, which i'll need for my tapered headsets. If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. But buying the 1"-1 1/8" is pointless as its just for this single job and then its no good to me. Its not expensive, £13 from CRC, but for one job alone its a waste of money 🤔

If you want one, I’ll give it to you for the price of postage.
Thanks for the offer, but postage both ways its not far off the cost of a wiggle/CRC one. and then theres always the chance to PO will lose it :LOL:

Fair enough, but why both ways? I said give, not lend.

Yup, thats the thing.
Its because the bearing is in that the opening is a lot narrower. And just wondering if the bigger tool will fit in through it.

I've seen a number of the diy ones, but Unfortunately I dont even have a steel tube to fabricate the tool with.
I should just buy the 1 1/8"-1 1/2" tool, which i'll need for my tapered headsets. If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. But buying the 1"-1 1/8" is pointless as its just for this single job and then its no good to me. Its not expensive, £13 from CRC, but for one job alone its a waste of money 🤔

Thanks for the offer, but postage both ways its not far off the cost of a wiggle/CRC one. and then theres always the chance to PO will lose it :LOL:

The tool has to be small enough to pass through a 1-1/8" headset cup to reach the 1-1/8" headset cup on the other side to be able to remove it, so yes, it will fit :)

The tool has to be small enough to pass through a 1-1/8" headset cup to reach the 1-1/8" headset cup on the other side to be able to remove it, so yes, it will fit :)
yes i gather, but can it pass through an 1 1/8" bearing. See most cups the bearing comes out, so the opening is a lot wider, and these tools are really made for H/S where the bearing has been removed. The hope one thats not an option.

I reckon it will be fine, but just thought id check.

Looked on CRC to check out the tool, says it's for 1-1/8th inch only. Eh? My solution to use it for 1-1/2 inch headsets would be to flare it out a bit more. As has been said a tool to do both would need to be able to fit through 1-1/8th bearings. I'd get the 1-1/8th only, aye right, don't see any problem "adjusting" it for 1-1/2inch headsets.

The 1-1/8th tool needs to be small enough in diameter to fit through with the bearings still in place. Why take the bearings out of a headset before removing it?

Edited for feckwittery......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back