Hope Evo cranks. Fakery?

To me it isn’t. Both are fake.

Sellers like to use the word reproduction but they aren’t. Once you add that Syncros / Ringle logo to the item or description it’s exactly the same situation as Aliexpress.

If they were produced by the same company (like smoke/darts) then re-pro is the term.

It baffles me that it’s accepted in the community where items are sold between people and at some point that re-pro will be passed off as a real item.
I guess it depends on how you sit morally. For me if someone is trying to currently sell something then it's 100% counterfeit and criminal, but if it's something that is no longer made then there is no issue. A genuine item will always be worth more, and a non-genuine repro is simply a product for someone who wants the look. What about car parts? I've got several classics for which genuine is soo NLA that if I couldn't get hold of repro items they'd be sat there as paperweights. How about companies making repro decals, or replacement parts for things that have broken such as dropouts on a mk2 Santa Cruz Super 8?

I've been through the dispute process, you have to start that off before you can asked eBay to step in, which is why I did so. I was not expecting the partial refund offer soon after and as it didn't require me to send the item back, I just thought I'd go for it to save the hassle.

Now I wish I'd waited, asked eBay to step in as that way I'd have got the full refund and return postage covered.

Now I have the idle threat of them" getting it back no matter what eBay says' and the promise to come and collect it.

So much for saving any hassle.
Can you still call eBay?

I guess it depends on how you sit morally. For me if someone is trying to currently sell something then it's 100% counterfeit and criminal, but if it's something that is no longer made then there is no issue. A genuine item will always be worth more, and a non-genuine repro is simply a product for someone who wants the look. What about car parts? I've got several classics for which genuine is soo NLA that if I couldn't get hold of repro items they'd be sat there as paperweights. How about companies making repro decals, or replacement parts for things that have broken such as dropouts on a mk2 Santa Cruz Super 8?

Do the parts have the logo or brand of the one they copied?

Non OE parts for cars don’t have a manufacturer stamp trying to pass themselves off as real.

I’ve no issue with a replacement mech hanger , or anything similar.

Let’s take the Syncros items from a well known seller. If they simply had the shape and style of the real deal then there wouldn’t be an issue —— but adding that logo is naughty. The logo doesn’t add anything from a functional point of view so why is it there?

The best resolution now is to Call ebay by phone.

Of course they make it hard getting through to a person, but when you explain that the item has been verified as a fake by the manufacturer (after your accepting the offer), and the nature of the sellers behaviour, they will totally get on your side.

They will refund the rest of your money and notify the seller of their potential fraudulent action and the consequence of threatening behaviour.

I've only done this twice in 20 years, but i was massively impressed with the result both times.

The best resolution now is to Call ebay by phone.

Of course they make it hard getting through to a person, but when you explain that the item has been verified as a fake by the manufacturer (after your accepting the offer), and the nature of the sellers behaviour, they will totally get on your side.

They will refund the rest of your money and notify the seller of their potential fraudulent action and the consequence of threatening behaviour.

I've only done this twice in 20 years, but i was massively impressed with the result both times.

Yep, this is the way. I had to phone them once, and when you get through to a real person they are massively helpful.

In my case, a scammer was selling a phone with a guarantee. The "guarantee" turned up by recorded delivery with a promise the phone would arrive shortly. In reality, said guarantee was a scrawled note. The phone never turned up. I reported as item not received, and was led on a merry dance as eBay's systems said, "no case to answer because you've received it". Speaking to a person nearly instantly sorted it, they explained I had to say "not as described", reset their systems, I did so - and I had a refund in 30 mins.

It all went quiet until I left some negative feedback. Seemed to poke the bear and now he's very determined to come round to my house.and collect them as he puts it "they don't belong to me". Might have to invest in a ring style doorbell and make sure I don't answer when a psychopathic looking stranger is at the door.

Latest posts

Back