Hope Evo cranks. Fakery?

Interested in learning more about how to spot a fake pair - Did Hope tell you how they determined they were fakes?

Probably not in their interest to do so as it simply provides the fakers with information on how to produce a better fake.

For me the lettering around the bottom of the crank was suspicious as it it not look completely aligned or recessed like Hope stuff is.

Visually they are very impressive.

Structurally though I wouldn't trust them.

The manufacturer will have used whatever alloy allows them to get the best finish at the lowest price.
It's not like they have any guarantee to back up, or customer liability insurance to pay for.

It would be interesting to get hope to analyse them

Totally agree with the other points made on the ebay return - if you're happy with the cost once the partial refund is issued then fine, but don't take it if you're not, open a 'not as described' case. Buyers are *always* in the right on ebay, that means even if you 'felt' it was fake (regardless of whether that was independently confirmed or not), you can open a case saying that it is not as described and ebay forces the seller to accept a return and pay for postage. A seller saying they don't accept returns is irrelevant, since ebay's buyer protection is that the seller always must accept a return *and* pay for it if the buyer says the item is not as described - you don't actually need to prove that it isn't as described. To be honest the less discussion you have with a seller about that matter, the better. You then get a prepaid return label from ebay and you get the refund.

The fun begins. The terms of the eBay refund were that the item did not have to be returned. The seller has now contacted me asking to send them back as he wants to try and get his money back from whoever he bought them from allegedly. I'd not have accepted the partial if I had to return them. Though I'd he's willing to pay for return postage (insured and recorded) I'll probably send them back to him. Based on the original, no refunds, see my sale terms reply, I could adopt the same stance as it was only after opening a case that any action was forced.

As for what hope said, attached below too, but in short it was the etching and the lock ring they pointed to as signs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240605-000323.png
    Screenshot_20240605-000323.png
    355.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20240605-175649.png
    Screenshot_20240605-175649.png
    460.8 KB · Views: 33
Now he's kicking off, wanting to send someone round to collect them as he's out of pocket in his words. Got to love eBay sellers.

Back