Hope C2 brake hose trouble

MetaMatt

Dirt Disciple
Hi all

Recently purchased a set of Hope C2 brakes. Look proper retro and cool. Well anyway i want to replace the brake lines with braided cables if possible but have been reading up, that the old C2s used to use a thinner hosing (5mm) than the current hope brake range (6mm). well i have measured my hoses diameter and i dont know if im missing something but they are 6mm and appear to have the same fitting kits as the newer hope brakes. :?: They system i own runs with a banjo a olive and a shroud and just wondering will it fit. do mine have a newer kit on them. just generally confuseled :S. Any and i mean any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Will try and post pics but my internet connection is laughable.
cheers
MATT

thishttp://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7730196/[img]
[img]http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7730195/[img]

im still learning so bear with me if the pictures dont show :L

MM,

I think the older hose was 6mm OD, with Hope switching to narrower gauge 5mm OD hoses.

Only i'm trying to source 6mm, hose because on my frame the hose eyelets are larger, and the 5mm stuff doesn't fit/run right.

I have read that braided is thicker. so do you think if i went for braided it would fit?. i would offer you my old hoses but the front one is black and the internals are half pulled out and the rear one is a red. i mean there yours if you want them

The old hoses are 6mm, (and good luck finding any!) but the newer (mono mini onwards) use 5mm.
You can use 5mm hose on your C2s but you will need the later fittings too, and they aint cheap!

Ahh bugger. Are the new hope braided hoses 6mm or are they 5mm too? Looks like its going to cost me more than I expected haha.

New braided housing is 6mm including the plastic sleeve. But you have to trim that off at the ends so it's still only 5mm. So it would solve the frame fit issue.

The old 6mm hardware is alloy and more easy to snap due to overtightening.

Just use the new hoses unless you want to be period correct. They are less prone to expansion so give a better feel then the old ones.

I do have some 6mm hose though - how much do you need?

ahh im with you now. im not to fussed about period correct but im going to be replacing the lines so want to go braided. i may just invest in a new fitting kit unless you have some braided that will fit mine

cheers

My 6mm hose is non-braided type.

If you try to run the old hardware on new braided hoses it won't compress enough to be tight around the fittings and it may leak. And I suspect they'd snap before they were tight enough anyway.

Just use the new fittings. I run them on my RC300 with original non-mono Minis and nobody's complained about it so far....

Back