Homemade gripshift grip solution :)

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I had some SRT600-71 gripshifts that had completely lost the rubber grips which had become sticky and disintegrated completely. A search for new grips only brought up NOS ones, which while very nice were twice the price of a complete set of used shifters :facepalm:

So I found my own solution... a section of bar grip, boiled in water for 5 mins to make it more flexible, stretched over the barrel part of the shifter, and left in the freezer to cool (which was probably overkill, especially as I forget and left it there for 24 hours :LOL: )

I haven't mounted it yet, but just turning the shifter as is it seems quite solid and doesn't slip. Will report back once I have it mounted and have tried it properly.

The section of bargrip was a left over piece after building my son's bike, but they were a 5 quid set of ordinary grips anyway. A full set of grips would do two full sets of gripshifts. I might even try coloured grips next time!

Attachments

• DSCN9960.JPG
    DSCN9960.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 516
  • DSCN9959.JPG
    DSCN9959.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 516
Re:

Cracking idea there! Rather than all that boiling, a squirt of cheap sticky hairspray (without any moisturising additives) would probably suffice in mounting the small section of grip.

boiling them made them stretchy enough to pull them over the shifter barrel. They were impossible to stretch over before boiling. The barrel has a diameter of about 28mm, so 6mm more than the bars they're designed to fit.

Fluffychicken, what grips have you got in that bag?

Latest posts

Back