Home made wheel dishing guages?

mistermonkeywrench

MacRetro Rider
Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I've just done a quick search to see if there was a thread specifically for this kinda stuff...but if I have missed it, then please point me in the right direction 🤙

I was hoping that some like-minded people out there may have built their own and would be willing to share any photos?

I'm on with one myself at present, (along with 999 other things as usual) and am curious to see if my design is comparable.

I've had the Roger Musson e-book for about 20 years now, but only made the jig itself and the truing tool.

My only thought up to now is foldable for easier storage.

Thanks for any replies!

I’ve never needed one, once the wheel is in the truing jig I measure from the support arms to the rim. As long as both sides are the same it’s dished correctly. I use a depth vernier and get it within 10 thou of center every time. Storage isn’t a problem when you don’t have/need one 😂.

We've still got a victorian piece of ironmongery that would break your foot if you knocked it over - purely decorative now, as it would struggle to accommodate thru-axles, and fraction-of-a-millimetre accuracy clearly wasn't necessary with spoon brakes on solid tyres🤣

Sounds very similar...massive cursing every time you banged you knee on it.

I think Mick at Madgetts in diss still has a similar one for customers to bang their knees on.....its a necessity in a proper old skool bike shop....bit like Arkrights till.

Mick's a truly lovely bloke and the shop is bloody amazing...stuffed to the gunnells.... still has a retro "naughty cabinet" with some original 90s bits in for sale!

2 years ago i got a brand set of pace extruder chainrings from him......for the original label price....they were just hanging on a nail along with 300 other chainrings.

Think @TreaderSteve has made a few trips to see the great Oracle too?

1729789238335.jpeg

Last edited:
Back