Holdsworth Whirlwind - Cambridge

Very nice. He has another bike for sale – a modern On One. He's obviously listed that one a few times, as he's added the comment:
'i amazed of the amount of bids don't be surprised if it pulled a second time around WAKE UP PEOPLE'

Umm, yeah, welcome to eBay! If you don't want to risk selling it cheap, then don't list it with a low starting price. They've sold plenty of stuff in the past so I really don't get why some sellers don't seem to get how an auction actually works...

So don't be too surprised if this one gets ended early too, unfortunately.

I'm a bit of a fleabey novice myself. No reserve mentioned. Can it be pulled if bids are too low for his liking? Or must it be sold?

People tend not to put a reserve on items because there is a 4% reserve price fee, which has to be paid whether or not the item sells – so instead people just pull the item from sale once it gets near the end. You can do this within the rules by just saying the item is no longer for sale, but I suspect if you keep doing this on the same item eBay will flag it.

Aside from being annoying for potential buyers, items often go up a lot in the last few minutes or even seconds, so pulling an item might be self-defeating, really. If I'm bidding I pretty much always bid as late as possible. It generally works well, though I have lost out on a few things that way, but you win some, you lose some.

The last item I sold by auction (rather than Buy It Now) literally doubled in price from £45 to £90 with a flurry of bids in the last 20 seconds, so you really never know. Of course I also once ended up selling someone a pretty decent office chair for 99p! Since when I have learnt to use a higher starting price for some items, which really is the more honest way of ensuring you don't sell items for way less than you want to.

The upside to this one is it's collection only.
That will reduce the bids a lot so if you can get to Cambridge it could be a bargain.

I don't know about reserves, but you usually get a dealer bidding with 5 seconds to go (automated bidding)
So that will push it up to a reasonable price, and I'm guessing there are dealers near Cambridge.

Just checked:
He can cancel with no penalty if there's more than 24 hours to run.
Within 24 hours there's a % of highest bid penalty.

I've only seen 3 Whirlwinds on Ebay in the last 3 or 4 years - two in the last week (and I got the first one).

The upside to this one is it's collection only.
That will reduce the bids a lot so if you can get to Cambridge it could be a bargain.

I don't know about reserves, but you usually get a dealer bidding with 5 seconds to go (automated bidding)
So that will push it up to a reasonable price, and I'm guessing there are dealers near Cambridge.

Just checked:
He can cancel with no penalty if there's more than 24 hours to run.
Within 24 hours there's a % of highest bid penalty.

I've only seen 3 Whirlwinds on Ebay in the last 3 or 4 years - two in the last week (and I got the first one).
So can we rule you out of bidding then? After all, you already have one. No need to be greedy🤣

I'm definitely out.
Currently documenting a fine flamboyant magenta 23" Whirlwind :)
It's a damn fine colour.
I had a 6cyl 2 litre Spitfire in the same colour. My wife insisted on calling it pink...we didn't divorce though, even if I had grounds.

Back