Holdsworth Frame Numbering

Tried charting the numbers we have for 76 to 85 using the production data. 3500/yr in 76, 7000 in 80 and 10,000 by 85. Pushes the max number up to 70K by end of 85. I have shown this on graph with only two changes taking the low 84 frame numbers back to 82, both of witch fit nicely. I have also added one additional CB number.

Next I'll check out the good data points to confirm they fit and look for some more number.

Table added

Re:

Hi thanks for the interesting posts, I think that they may help me to date my claud butler which seams not to match anything in any Claud Butler catalogue. The plain gauge 531 tubes and Prugnat lugs point to a holdsworth cyclone frame with the optional Campagnolo fork ends. The frame number is 023533 which suggests 1979/80?. Holdsworth appear to have dropped the Cyclone model In 1978 I assume mine is a leftover frame?

@dwscrimshaw As far as I know the chamfered in Special seat cluster never reappeared on the Special again.

Here to me is a nice original early Special

file.php

Fastback / shot in / Italianate stays pitched up on their TT frames though.

Shaun

Re:

I think that is my question you are answering there Shaun, rather than dwscrimshaw's... Thanks! That is a nice example in the pic. Just noticed that the 'earlies' have no mudguard eyes..

andy156- looks like yours would be 1980, according to dwscrimshaw's latest plot/table?

Anyone care to comment on the 'Claud' I linked to, which seems to be (0?)23034 if I am interpreting correctly? The latest plot/table would make that '80 as well, but it is described as being '82.. :facepalm:

I do like those Fastback etc. stays, I have something similar on my Lo-pro with Aero stays.

As regards frame number 023533, yes I agree 1980 if going by the production volume graph. If you post some picture these other more knowledgeable contributors might be able to identify it. Also for 023034 not sure I am following the plot here, couldn't see any frame numbers mentioned in the adds so not sure which one you are referring to torqueless. Can you set me straight.

I didn't know Holdsworths came in such numbers or varieties. My only brush with them previously was what I believed to be a late 50's Monsoon when I was at school. It seemed so much quicker than anything else I have ridden at the time. I distinctly remember the fish tail BB lugs and the head set scrolls. Unfortunately the friend I sold it to rode into the back of a car on it, it didn't end well for the frame and got binned. Also I grew up just down the A3 further out of London, had no idea at the time it was all happening on my door step. The frame I have now is as close to the old I had as I could find, going to be a bit of a nostalgic project with some upgrades.

I have updated the file with these number.

"As regards frame number 023533, yes I agree 1980 if going by the production volume graph. If you post some picture these other more knowledgeable contributors might be able to identify it."

Hi dwscrimshaw I posted a question about my frame a while ago under the title "Claud Butler help needed" which included some photos nobody seam to be able to pinpoint a model name but we were looking at it as a CB note a Holdsworth :facepalm:

Re:

Also for 023034 not sure I am following the plot here, couldn't see any frame numbers mentioned in the adds so not sure which one you are referring to torqueless. Can you set me straight.
I just revisited the link and realised that it was not a frame number! My mistake. The site seems to trawl 'bay and 'tree for ads that match your search words. The bike I was linking to has disappeared, but there is another there now which reads: "Claud Butler Olympic Road Racing Bike 21034 Frame.." I think the number must relate to frame size- (this is 21", the other earlier one was 23")
...Phew!!

andy 156- Are your Campag. dropouts the flat 'Sport' type without adjustment screws, or the more chunky 1010 type with adjustment screws? If the former, pump-peg placement apart, I would conjecture that your frame is a Claud Butler Cassino.

Re: Re:

torqueless":3h6yg7l5 said:
Also for 023034 not sure I am following the plot here, couldn't see any frame numbers mentioned in the adds so not sure which one you are referring to torqueless. Can you set me straight.
I just revisited the link and realised that it was not a frame number! My mistake. The site seems to trawl 'bay and 'tree for ads that match your search words. The bike I was linking to has disappeared, but there is another there now which reads: "Claud Butler Olympic Road Racing Bike 21034 Frame.." I think the number must relate to frame size- (this is 21", the other earlier one was 23")
...Phew!!

andy 156- Are your Campag. dropouts the flat 'Sport' type without adjustment screws, or the more chunky 1010 type with adjustment screws? If the former, pump-peg placement apart, I would conjecture that your frame is a Claud Butler Cassino.

Thanks torqueless I think you have cracked it. the dropouts are plain adjusterless sport type so I'm willing to gamble on it being a cassino.

Back