His bikes

Anyway ...

This thread is just to give you an idea of the bikes I own and ride. I'll be randomly listing those bikes.

My latest outing, a little over a week ago, was to L'Eroica in Gaiole, Italy. The bike I brought along for the event was my Eddy Merckx. Built in ca 1975 by Bernard Dangre's Starnord shop in Valenciennes, France, it is made with Vitus 172 tubing and quite a nice ride. I bought it as a bare frame set, and built it with what I thought might have been original, such as the (wonderful) Huret Challengers mechs.

Originally the lowest gear would probably have been 42 x 21, but as that doesn't get me up any of the Tuscan hills, I changed that to 37 x 28. Much better.

IMG_20241006_095424714_HDR(1).jpg

The week before L'Eroica mrs non-fixie and I spent a week touring in Tuscany, and for that I'd brought along a Gazelle Champion Mondial semi-race. Originally it had a SunTour 7 transmission and a Gazelle-branded SR crank set, but for comfort and climbing capabilities I replaced those with a Shimergo setup and a Gipiemme triple.

The original Bluemels mudguards were cracked, and were replaced by VO "aluminum fenders" (they're American, after all).

IMG_20240927_124114520_HDR.jpg

Anyway ...

This thread is just to give you an idea of the bikes I own and ride. I'll be randomly listing those bikes.

My latest outing, a little over a week ago, was to L'Eroica in Gaiole, Italy. The bike I brought along for the event was my Eddy Merckx. Built in ca 1975 by Bernard Dangre's Starnord shop in Valenciennes, France, it is made with Vitus 172 tubing and quite a nice ride. I bought it as a bare frame set, and built it with what I thought might have been original, such as the (wonderful) Huret Challengers mechs.

Originally the lowest gear would probably have been 42 x 21, but as that doesn't get me up any of the Tuscan hills, I changed that to 37 x 28. Much better.

View attachment 894625

The week before L'Eroica mrs non-fixie and I spent a week touring in Tuscany, and for that I'd brought along a Gazelle Champion Mondial semi-race. Originally it had a SunTour 7 transmission and a Gazelle-branded SR crank set, but for comfort and climbing capabilities I replaced those with a Shimergo setup and a Gipiemme triple.

The original Bluemels mudguards were cracked, and were replaced by VO "aluminum fenders" (they're American, after all).

View attachment 894626
I see you have the Challenge Strade Bianchi tyres on the Gazelle. I have them on my Vittorio now, and rather like them.

I see you have the Challenge Strade Bianchi tyres on the Gazelle. I have them on my Vittorio now, and rather like them.

I have used them on several of my resto-modded light touring bikes as they are quite nice for the, well, strade bianche. And yes, they are 700 x 30C. Don't care much for the loud graphics, though.

Here's another one. A 1985 Koga-Miyata Randonneur, which came to me as a well-abused frame set in 2015:

5e75280a-62d3-4fca-a52e-20c918c3cc08.jpg

A couple of years ago I wanted to try a few new-to-me parts I'd acquired, and I decided this would be a nice frame for it. I gave it a quick rattlecan respray and have used it as a test mule during several vacation trips since.

In France with an 8-speed Shimano Claris/Deore mix, a cheap Taylor wheelset, Andel cranks and a home-made decaleur:

16ecb4eb-68d6-481d-a45f-8404fffb305b.jpg

A few months later in Italy, with a Shimergo transmission, Gipiemme triple chainset, Nitto randonneur bars, MAFAC Criterium brakes and more vintage wheels:

abda4156-af28-446a-a53f-c8ef44f32267.jpg

Fast forward another nine months and we're back in Italy. Now with Motobecane bars, Campagnolo shifters operating a shortened 9-speed Shimano cluster, TRP carbon brakes, an Idéale saddle and 28mm Vittoria Corsa tyres:

3a1025df-6934-49b3-bf71-17fe487d04d7.jpg

Another three months later, now back in France, with 30mm Grand Bois Cypres tyres and the plastic mudguards have been replaced by Honjos:

8760a168-d13c-4189-bb38-bf1af305b61a.jpg

Back