Hi! Carlton Serial number question...

Niallmo

Devout Dirtbag
Hiya, just bought my first Retro bike. A Carlton Grand Prix. Not exactly a top end bike but for £50 I'll go with it.

It's serial seems to indicate it was made in August 1980 at Nottingham...NH004xxxx. I know Worksop closed in 1980 and they switched to Nottingham but all the info seems to say it was 1981 that it was moved. I'm guessing it's not exact on the move date but was wondering wether this seems right?

I regularly cycle through Carlton and Worksop and actually wanted a Worksop built frame but hey ho, guess I'll have to get a higher spec Worksop made model... :D

Hi, yep you are correct. N is the Nottingham build. The Grand Prix originally came in fire red where the frame was sprayed yellow and then over sprayed in red. Could look nice in the sunshine but this was in short supply in Hull LOL

Good geometry and nice ride as usual for a Carlton design.

Any pics :)

Shaun

Thank you!

Will try and get some up on Wednesday in a new thread.

I also seem to have "accidentally" bought a Raleigh Team Cadet in Panasonic colours for similar money...picking that up tomorrow hopefully...it does however appear to have an "incorrect" sticker that might mean it's something else ;)

Niallmo":jgi5xk25 said:
I also seem to have "accidentally" bought a Raleigh Team Cadet in Panasonic colours for similar money...picking that up tomorrow hopefully...it does however appear to have an "incorrect" sticker that might mean it's something else ;)

Excellent. I saw that, and you're right about it being something else - 501, no mudguard eyelets, chrome dropouts - has to be a Team Corsa.

Yup, quite possibly, bit worried about it saying 14 speed and the Mavics but I'm guessing it won't hurt the frame as the Corsa is a 12 speed.

Ah, no, couldn't be, they just used the W serial. I've just said myself that Worksop closed in 80/81!

Back