Hi and pics of my bike!

richb3

Retro Newbie
Hello to everyone, been lurking around on this site for a few weeks after being directed to it my an mtb mate, its a good thing that you guys got going on here!

I've had a 98 Caldera with random bits on since 2000-ish (ill put some pics up when i can) and just bought a Klein Attitude Race (hopefully some pics will appear below...). It was the one listed as a 'Klien' on fleabay, for those of you who read that post in the Marketplace Watch sub-forum.

Not a purist's pre-trek Klein admittedly, but it still looks awesome imho not to mention a damn sight cheaper and I've fancied one for years so well happy with my purchase.

So, few questions I was wondering if you retro-gurus can help me with. I don't actually know what year the frame is - any ideas? There's a fairly random collection of parts on the frame, some 7 speed XTR (chainset, integrated brake/gear lever) which could be original (?) and some newer 9 speed kit. Azonic bars and I-Beam stem. I'm guessing from the canti cable boss that those Manitous aren't original spec? Anyone know anything about the forks? The elastomers are totally knackered!

Give me your ideas as to what I should do with it! Plan so far is to combine it with most of the bits off my Kona and sell all thats left over - naturally the bits will be posted on here. I'll probs get a different fork for it though.

Attachments

• DSCF0264-1.JPG
    DSCF0264-1.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 717
  • DSCF0265-1.JPG
    DSCF0265-1.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 717
richb3":39ud441o said:
...There's a fairly random collection of parts on the frame, some 7 speed XTR (chainset, integrated brake/gear lever)
... I'm guessing from the canti cable boss that those Manitous aren't original spec?...

Welcome aboard!

Sorry to say but it's probably the V-brakes that aren't original. They're not compatible with your XTR STI levers. You'll have to either replace the V's with canti's or get a pair of leverage adjusting cam thingies.

Cheers,

Arran.

Thanks for your replies, definitely a lucky typo for me :)

After trawling a few catalogues, i think its a '97 as there's no canti cable boss on the frame. Mystery as to why its got the canti levers on it but the whole bike definitely seems a random assortment. I found a 97 Klein catalogue on that German site in the links section, the fork isnt original spec either, in fact I think the seatpost could be the only original part!

Over the next few weeks I'm going to source some forks, maybe some black SIDs if i can find them, and fit the kit off my other bike. Not really that retro but ill keep ya posted.

Back