Hi, and my Stumpy.

14_Gearhead

Retro Newbie
Hi folks. I've been and occasional lurker for a few years. I'm currently off work following a moment of carelessness with a kitchen knife which severed a finger tendon. With a bit of time to kill, it seemed like a good reason to get some work done on my project bike.

At the moment I have a 98(?) Stumpjumper. My little brother bought it shortly after I got hold of a Rockhopper frame in the early 2000's . A couple of years later I bought/swapped/stole it from him. If I remember correctly, I got the Rohloff Speedhub for the Rockhopper and swapped it across, with the rest of the kit. About a decade ago I changed the Rohloff torque arm and fitted a brake disc, with the intention of getting a caliper mount sorted.

IMG_7570.JPG

IMG_7571.JPG

Last year, after a lot of nosing about, I got a S-Works M5 frame (2005-06?) in matt black. After much indecision, and seeing some of mamadirt's work, I've gone for leaving paint as is, but redoing the logos. Also got hold of a pair of Pace RC40s in need of new seals. Progress to follow.

One quick question while I'm here: Is there anything I can do about the fading of the red Crud Catcher?

Ooooh, that color 😍 Interesting to see the rear disc mount too. Neither my forks nor frame have disc mounts but toying with the idea of rebuilding my cheapo wheelset with disc hubs so that I can use them on my little Patriot . . . that said, I've just made an offer on a gold non/disc hub here in the States 🤦

I wonder if a dye bath would restore the crud catcher. I know a lot of folks used to dye their bmx mag wheels back in the 80s.

Looking forward to seeing your updates 😎

Thanks, always loved that colour. I'm hoping to find wall space to hang up the frame, once the new build is done.

I never figured out a disc mount for this frame. The stuff on the non-drive side is the torque arm and cable entry for the Rohloff Speedhub. It's 14 planetary geared speeds, all in the hub, so the torque reaction needs a bit of management. The main reason for the frame swap is to get a caliper mount, so that rear disc actually does something!

Back