Help with rockshox judy

richy rich

Retro Newbie
Ive got a few Q's for servicing and repair.

1 Ive found a service man for my Judy forks it is saying i should have 1 side with oil in and 1 with the spring is that right or am i reading it wrong.
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/02_ ... ervice.pdf
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/200 ... _WEB_B.pdf

2 If 1 is correct why have a got 2 preload adjusters. The shox are as I bought the bike second hand is the 2 preload adjusters a mod?

3 Are my shox's 2002's/ j1's see pic below I know they are XC's

4 I snapped 1 of the preload adjusters of yestertoday after a little spill I think? I didn't notice until id got home and cleaned it. One thing I did notice was when I was riding home on the road I did a little hop over a pot hole and I heard a load crack. Can the preload adjuster just give way?

5 The Manual states i should have 80mm off travel but i only get 60 is this because of the above. I think I've had this 1 answered I've been told that early rockshox where bad on how much the manual says and the real live.

Cheers Rich

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 747
The 2002 had an air top up in the left leg hence the valve on top of the leg. so if they are just coil/oil I would think they are pre 02.

The travel can be internally adjusted with spacers between 63,80 and 100mm, so check that if you are getting less travel than you hoped for

One side has more oil than the other on my SL's according to the manual, but was told by a certain well known fork servicer to fill both sides with 120mls of 5cwt oil.

Hope that answers a few points, but never had an adjuster snap, so can't help with that one
Cheers

Huntso":3qi9jfdq said:
The 2002 had an air top up in the left leg hence the valve on top of the leg. so if they are just coil/oil I would think they are pre 02.

The travel can be internally adjusted with spacers between 63,80 and 100mm, so check that if you are getting less travel than you hoped for

One side has more oil than the other on my SL's according to the manual, but was told by a certain well known fork servicer to fill both sides with 120mls of 5cwt oil.

Hope that answers a few points, but never had an adjuster snap, so can't help with that one
Cheers

OK being pre 2002 is prob why I cant find a manual.

Ill have a look at the travel/ spacers when I have some time.

Ive had another look at the adjusters again and all that has happened is the knob on top has come off and the rubber bung has popped out Ive been able to bodge it for now.

cheers Rich.

Back