Help with my RTS

therollex

Dirt Disciple
after a bit of searching this arrived this morning

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =168096582

What should I do first? (other than pump tyres and ride)
it has a flat badge at the back, anyone know what model it might be?

bull horns, yes/no?

its running full LX apart from the shifter units.

What are the forks equivalent to Manitou 3 or Mag21?

lusted after one of these back in around 1994 while at uni, $4k was a bit much to spend then

Attachments

• 72795856_full.jpg
    72795856_full.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,367
  • 72795856_full.jpg
    72795856_full.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,367
Looks a bit like an RTS-2, but some fettling has been done.

You have an upgraded rear shock there, with the piggy back unit.

Dont know much about those forks I'm affraid.  2's came with Quadra's, 1's had Mag's.

Can you do some more decent pics please?

Could you tell me what (if anything) is stamped on the alloy main frame? Just a quick look around all the tubes (and under the BB shell) and let me know what numbers there are?

Cheers :)

first thing to do? polish it until its looking like a mirror. then get rid of the horrible bar ends.
GT frames look good polished,must take pics of my Zaskar if we ever get any dry weather to show it off.

Yep, strip the bike, and start polishing the frame till it's a mirror :LOL:

Once that's done and you know what kind of frame it is, try to get the decals for it.

The STI set has to go and replace with a fitting set. :LOL:

so far...

allen key came out yesterday and the bar ends have dissappeared...
excuse my ignorance but what should I use to polish the frame, car polish? is there something special?
The front shocks have 12mm of travel... hanging on the wall I have Manitou 2, 4, Marzocchi XC600 and Mag21... should I replace the anti grav forks?
yes acera pods will be replaced, I have XT STI top mount shifters, will these suit?
serial number to come...

mag21 all the way, and a metal polish like brasso will bring the frame up to a nice shine

Re: so far...

therollex":3qdq2k89 said:
but what should I use to polish the frame

Mag21... should I replace the anti grav forks?

I have XT STI top mount shifters, will these suit?

There isn't anything prescribed to polish the frame with, but most guys on here use Autosol (you get it from motor/hardware stores) then Brasso. Bit of work gets a great shine. Autosol first then Brasso.

Mag21's in my opinion would be the best. They match the rear shock very well.

XT sounds fine to me ;)

Yep, i use Autosol, you can find it in Hellfrauds.

Finish it off with T-cut and normal car wax (Mer is good stuff)

get it looking like this eventually :D

e3side.jpg

I have the same forks, look in my stumpjumper link in my signature. As far as I can tell they're based on tange shock blades with a bit more intricate cnc work. The ones I have are slightly different first of all there black and the crown is different but same decals, can't say if there earlier or later though. Reminds me that I meant to look into them a bit more though.

Back