Help to identify MTB frame

bazil":2gpojebw said:
Its just subtle differences. I am certainly no expert and I am just comparing the picture posted to the saracen ones found.

Difference (it might be a case of varying from model to model?)

No groove on chainstay

I am sure there was a few more.....

The groove in the chainstay is almost hidden by the dirty great 52t chainring (if there is one at all).

Even the rack mounts are in an identical position to the catalog pic. The lugs are the same and most importantly, the rear chainstay bridge matches.

The forks match too perfectly to be anything else.

conquest_205.jpg

bazil":3gtvyx4d said:
Its just subtle differences. I am certainly no expert and I am just comparing the picture posted to the saracen ones found.

Difference (it might be a case of varying from model to model?)

No groove on chainstay

I am sure there was a few more.....
Personally, I think the things that are similar, are more significant.

But regardless, I'm sure this spec of frames was sold through various sources, I have one that's remarkably similar (531 frame, 501 forks, same cable routing, lugs, join of seatstay to seat-tube / top-tube) that was unbranded (well branded as a small, local - albeit long since close - bike shop).

So whether it's a Saracen, or not, I'm not sure is that significant (I guess that comes down to how much the owner cares about that) but I very much suspect it's a Reynolds frame and forks.

been doing some digging ( I have nothing better to do, dinner can wait)

very early Saracen (my mate's)

saracen_651.jpg

early Diamond Back:

lastscan3-1.jpg

Nigel Dean:

dean_003_160.jpg

Dawes:

dawes_ranger_130.jpg

Raleigh:

85_team_raleigh_maverick_531_594.jpg

All very similar but without the same cable guides as a Saracen.

legrandefromage":2bfgi2v8 said:
I love the Dawes BTW....

I was just going to say the same thing, and that Raleigh!

Notice the Dawes logo on the top of the seatstay, it has a longer flat too than most of the others. But all very similar as you say.

:LOL:
I know the feeling, I've just been searching the bay for one. Even with the mud guards and rack it looks good!

gibbleking":yc7tm8fs said:
i can feel the weight of the things from here....love the raleigh
Well they may be heavier than some later, lighter steel frame bikes, but they're not just gas pipe tubing like you'd see on a Mustang, or the like.

They all look to be variations of Reynolds framed bikes, so 501, possibly 531, probably butted.

Where is the love, dude?

;-)

i rode a blue raleigh maverik,full muduards,speedo,panniers and a 50lb stem of a bmx...damn thing weighed the same as a t72...but i loved it...... :D

Back