help! Seatpost stuck in frame!

Easy_Rider":2vqgb008 said:
Please don't go down the hacking the frame route. That Brodie is now buggered and useless.

Have to agree, pay someone to take it out if you have to, doing that to a frame is pointless, not of any use now!

wouldn't say the brodies fit for scrap, just might not be as the designer intended. plenty of room to chop off the top of the post and either braze on some more clamps, or use a removable clamp. As long as the slit hasn't cracked should be ok.

hoegaardenadds1":3pf1tz6q said:
wouldn't say the brodies fit for scrap, just might not be as the designer intended. plenty of room to chop off the top of the post and either braze on some more clamps, or use a removable clamp. As long as the slit hasn't cracked should be ok.

my sexy Brodie Dynamo looks ugly right now, someone even suggested I shouldn't have posted the disaster photos here...

:shock:

they could help someone with the same problem, eh?

for me it's all experience, and when you are short on time, and you hear that voice in your brain saying "do it, do it" it's hard to stay cool :eek: .
I really like the Brodie frame, it was my first purchase after joining this forum and starting to think of a retro project.
I've learned a few things in the last couple of months. If I had the same problem now I'd probably stop before chopping the seatpost and take the frame to a bike mechanic.

As for the methods used before getting brutal, I've left the frame in a bath of ammonia overnight... it didn't help. I don't think an expansion bolt would work either. I guess the hacksaw from the inside and/or a chisel is the only way out now.

I will still try and save my frame, it's steel anyway, it should be workable enough, there's still a few centimeters of seat tube that are in good shape above the top tube. but that's a story for another topic... and another time of the year, :D

b

bruce.of.zurich":x55cehr8 said:
[my sexy Brodie Dynamo looks ugly right now, someone even suggested I shouldn't have posted the disaster photos here...

b

No, what I actually said was that if I'd brutalised a nice frame like that I wouldn't have advertised the fact, especially on a forum dedicted to the preservation and restoration of such things :roll: .
You don't need experience to tell you that doing that to a frame is going to damage it irreversibly - I know, it's not life or death, but all the same.....

Andy R":bj7jngqt said:
bruce.of.zurich":bj7jngqt said:
[my sexy Brodie Dynamo looks ugly right now, someone even suggested I shouldn't have posted the disaster photos here...

b

No, what I actually said was that if I'd brutalised a nice frame like that I wouldn't have advertised the fact, especially on a forum dedicted to the preservation and restoration of such things :roll: .
You don't need experience to tell you that doing that to a frame is going to damage it irreversibly - I know, it's not life or death, but all the same.....

That's OK, not advertising though, sharing.
I'm not that convinced the frame is useless now, surely a few man-hours are required to make it shiny again. probably by someone with a lighter hand :oops:

I agree it's not dead yet...I believe a skilled frame builder could even remove the damaged seat tube an fit a new one.

knobby":sasskbjp said:
I agree it's not dead yet...I believe a skilled frame builder could even remove the damaged seat tube an fit a new one.

Yes, Argos could do it - like everything, at a price of course ;)

Whats the trick with coke?

Fill the tube up and leave it for a few days?

One of my engineers at work is suggesting blowing the alloy out with a plasma torch? Surely this will blow holes in the Steel frame too?

What a nightmare!

The most simple jobs turn into nightmares! Was hoping to have the frame painted by now!

davegt

I see on the wanted section you are still worried about the seatpost stuck in your kona.

Might help if you put a picture or two up on this thread and then we can tell you which of the many techniques would be best to rid you of your pesky little problem.

Back